Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Registry cleaners  (Read 3634 times)

Bobh

Registry cleaners
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »
Hi -
I get along with my computer pretty well.  With your help of course.  My question is:  Do I need a registry cleaner?  I have been told that I am to stay out of the registry because I can cause big problems.  Recently I have read that the registry gets full of errors and needs cleaning.  Do I really need to clean the registry and if so which cleaner should I use?   Thanks for your time.    Bob

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Registry cleaners
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:23:49 AM »
Registry cleaners can be very useful, because a lot of applications that are uninstalled will leave data behind clogging up your registry. It is true that you should stay out of the registry yourself unless you are very experienced but it is fine to let a program clean it for you. I highly recommend registry cleaning, you only need to do it about once per month.

I think AML Registry Cleaner is very good. get it here: http://www.amltools.com/

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
Registry cleaning and registry cleaners are a complete waste of time in 99.9 percent of cases and often cause more problems then they solve.

because a lot of applications that are uninstalled will leave data behind clogging up your registry
it doesn't "Clog" up anything. it just consumes disk space.

it is fine to let a program clean it for you

The only "registry cleaner" item I can even come <close> to recommending is CCleaner. this is the only one where I've seen it fix problems. every single other registry cleaner is FAR FAR FAR too aggressive, I've been over this a bajillion and a half times. My main point in most of those was that there is this idea that a registry cleaner is as important as a periodic disk check or virus scan- that it's a "basic tune up" utility. It's not.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 12:34:21 PM »
this is the only one where I've seen it fix problems. every single other registry cleaner is FAR FAR FAR too aggressive, I've been over this a bajillion and a half times. My main point in most of those was that there is this idea that a registry cleaner is as important as a periodic disk check or virus scan- that it's a "basic tune up" utility. It's not.
Well registry cleaners clean the registry so it not like you'll notice any kind of performance boost. And I agree that they are definitely agree that they are not tune up utilities and should be seldom used (not more than once a month). However they are very useful. Why would you keep leftover registry strings for programs that have been long since removed? Any sensible person wouldn't, thats where registry cleaners come in.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:43:57 PM »
Well registry cleaners clean the registry so it not like you'll notice any kind of performance boost. And I agree that they are definitely agree that they are not tune up utilities and should be seldom used (not more than once a month). However they are very useful. Why would you keep leftover registry strings for programs that have been long since removed? Any sensible person wouldn't, thats where registry cleaners come in.
Wrong. BC is 100% correct. Registry cleaners are at best useless and at worse will do a great deal of damage to your registry. Avoid registry cleaners. Period.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 04:06:20 PM »
Why would you keep leftover registry strings for programs that have been long since removed? Any sensible person wouldn't, thats where registry cleaners come in.

Ummm...because it's a text file and takes milliseconds to read the whole thing and there would be absolutely ZERO performance gain ? ? ?

Just a thought.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Bobh

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »
Hi -
Thanks to the persons who answered my question.  Do to my lack of knowledge I will leave the registry alone.  My computer my be slow but I have a lot of time.  Thanks and have a good day.   Bob

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:34:01 PM »
I have to agree with the anti-registry cleaning comments. It's best to just avoid registry cleaners.

If you're experiencing issues with speed during start-up, try reducing the number of things that load at start-up. For instance, instant messenger programs like Windows Live Messenger (MSN), Yahoo Messenger, and AIM by default load automatically at start-up, but if you go into their options, there's an option to stop this from happening. Then you can just open these programs as you need them instead of having them all load at start-up.

You might consider going into "Uninstall or change a program" and removing programs you don't use, especially ones that come on at start-up. If you are unsure what a program is or whether or not you need it, search for it online or come on back and ask us.

Bobh

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 10:48:39 AM »
Quaxo -
Thanks for the suggestions.  I have eliminated all but my antivirus at startup.  I was not interested in the registry cleaners from a standpoint of increasing speed (altho I will take that when I can get it) but I just want anything that will help my computer run more inefficiently.   Thanks    Bob

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 11:03:05 AM »
but I just want anything that will help my computer run more inefficiently.

Whooops..... ;D

Welcome to CH !
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "