Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem Unbuntu install  (Read 9121 times)

Cityscape

Adviser

• Running Debian 8, Linux Mint and Windows 10.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Problem Unbuntu install
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 12:40:47 PM »
The BIOs  is the short version, no cpu temp, no flash, probably some other stuff missing too
I suppose a few extra screens is the price I have to pay
I've never had decent support from Gateway, I'll certainly never buy anything new from them,
Silly thing is almost as bad as a dell...
Yeah. Acer, Gateway (which is made by Acer), HP, Lenovo & Dell are all bad. Acer, Gateway & Hp being the worst. The brands I'd buy would be Toshiba, Sony or Apple.

Check this out: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

Garthhh

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Problem Unbuntu install
    « Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 01:28:09 PM »
    be that as it may
    I'm unemployed & have what I have
    I don't really do anything except surf email & listen to music
    if it weren't for the lack of sound I probably would have stayed on 8.04 for another year
    this notebook is ok hardware wise, but gateway support has been horrible
    I don't know about notebooks, but I've had some real over priced dogs when it comes to sony consumer electronics
    my wife has a HP Vista notebook, which is good hardware wise, but has what must have one of the most bloated sets of preinstalled software ever :D

she's been using the unbuntu pc from time to time over the last 6 months & is going to be ready for a dualboot very soon
    good to keep a copy of windows around for some apps until I can figure out work arounds

my misson for the past couple of days has been getting the file sharing to work on the 2 linux boxes
    the pc is upgrading to 10.04 lts as I write.  There doesn't seem to be a decent tutorial, I think all I need is samba & gshare, but we shall see