Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes and won't reboot properly  (Read 2789 times)

jcgirl004

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Computer freezes and won't reboot properly
    « on: May 05, 2010, 12:51:08 PM »
    Hey anyone that is willing to help please do.

I have an acer 5640 desktop on a windows vista OS. yesterday my computer froze after being idle for about 10 minutes. I wasn't actually using the computer at the time so i don't know when/how/why the computer froze. The mouse and keyboard were not responding so i powered off the computer using the power button. when i went to reboot the computer i got an error message saying that windows was shut down to prevent damage to the computer. I have tried and tried again to get the computer booted up and occasionally it will work but then freeze after maybe about 2 minutes tops (usually it only works for 30 seconds) I have tried to use the computer through safe mode and run chkdsk but the computer will not function long enough for the all the files to be downloaded. I also tried using a repair disc and running that first by pressing F12 and the cd will load and  the files will be read but then the computer will freeze before i can actually use the disc. The common error messages i get are "windows did not load properly this could be due to hardware problems... would you like to run windows repair or start windows normally" (in this instance i selected the repair mode but the computer would freeze before anything could happen and all i saw was a black screen) i also get the BSOD and the code i get is stop:0x00000078 (that 8 might be a B i'm not sure) with numerous other codes after it. Occasionally when i try something new i can get the computer to load completely but it will eventually freeze again.

Sorry this is such a long post but please any advice would be great. I would prefer to not have to buy anything or replace the hard drive where all my files would be lost.

Thanks in advance for all your help

Tim_Cdy

Beginner

Re: Computer freezes and won't reboot properly
      « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
      Check your power brick. Could be falling over. If on battery when this has happend, try on full power. Could be battery with an intermittent problem.

jcgirl004

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 12:58:00 PM »
        can you tell me what a power brick is? or explain in more detail what you're talking about

Tim_Cdy

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:40:13 AM »
          Oops, wrong forum post to wrong post.

Looked at that error code you listed and from what I read, it would be difficult to determine what the cause is.

Could be driver related or something you have installed recently or your Hard disk or even PSU. First things first, try a system restore at a user defined save point or last known good config. That is the usual process to follow first.

As for the following errors or any others, keep a notepad so you can list them. If you do need to get a new HD, it may still be possible to recover critical stuff that you have.

jcgirl004

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »
            Well I haven't installed anything in the recent past.

I have tried to get the computer to do a system restore but it would freeze before anything could happen. I also tried the last good configuration and got that to boot all the way to the desktop but after using the computer for a while and trying to use chkdsk, the computer froze. When I tried to do last good configuration again, the computer wouldn't load to completion.

During bootup my computer will stop just before the windows logo appears, so it seems like somethings preventing windows from starting up. And sometimes I'll get a message saying that windows was purposely stopped from loading to prevent damage.