Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help on prootection  (Read 6976 times)

computer learner

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

help on prootection
    « on: May 10, 2010, 10:02:09 AM »
    what is the best freeware that i can use to protect a windows 7 from hackers and viruses and things like that??????

thank you.. :) :)

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: help on prootection
    « Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
    Common Sense. Doesn't cost a thing.

overthehill

Apprentice

• Keep Canada beautiful. Swallow your beer cans.
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »

gotapal

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:20:25 AM »
      I would personally recommend using the Default Firewall you have on your PC, and run ESET NOD32 Anti Virus 4 (which is currently the latest version) along side it. Unfortunately, freeware doesn't always deliver the job properly.. They are free for a reason...
      Online Computer Help & Support

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »
      I would personally recommend using the Default Firewall you have on your PC, and run ESET NOD32 Anti Virus 4 (which is currently the latest version) along side it. Unfortunately, freeware doesn't always deliver the job properly.. They are free for a reason...

Bunk.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:30:15 PM »
      Well I wont start by dissing your AV because I've never used it. But, personally I would not recommend the default firewall because there are (what I feel )much better (free) choices available. Namely, PC Tools Firewall Plus or Online Armor. My preference is Online Armor, but that's just me. And as far as an AV, I've been using Avast(free Antivirus) for some time now and I feel fully protected.  This I feel is a great product. It is not a resource hog,it is constantly updated, it's free , and it protects. I do not require my AV to do anyting more.

PS If Avast was not available, I would be using AVG (free version). Also a great product.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 09:24:05 PM »

So, wait- let me get this straight- you recommend they use the "Default firewall" which comes <free> with the Operating system, and then turn around and say that free doesn't always do the job?

Am I detecting some self-contradiction?

Also, "free" doesn't mean a thing. a Free program can be great, just as much as it can be bad. Linux didn't become popular just because it's free, but also because it delivers- why else would most web servers be running Apache on Linux if "free" didn't deliver?

or is this somehow just a tenet to apply specifically to the context of Anti-virus programs? if so you're going to have to provide a lot more then empty assertions to convince anybody. There is a lot of free software available that is equal to or better then the same type of software from major vendors.

personally (And I've said this before, Allan has called me a maniac for it, heh) I don't have any AV, software firewall, or other "in the background" program- I do run malwarebytes from time to time, and I use task manager a lot for other reasons so I'm rather familiar with what should and should not be present. my router's firewall protects me from the "packet wind" that seems to constantly come through Internet Lines, and aside from the occasional detection I've only had one major infection, and it turned out that even if I had an AV it wouldn't have been detected anyway. (I was able to use an updated AV to double-check the files I salvaged to see exactly what was infected, though)

EDIT: why have I "survived" without an AV? Why am I not succumbing to the "viruses and malware" that apparently pervade the internet? Easy:

Common Sense. Doesn't cost a thing.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 05:47:51 AM »
      By the way, I'm not taking sides here but I am a strong advocate of Window's built in firewall. It has always worked great for me.

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:09:12 AM »
      Well I hear you Allan, because that's what I used for years and never had any concerns. But after encountering a virus and had the CH malware experts bail me out, I was so totally impressed with their knowledge and expertise that I had to listen. I'm by no means an expert, so when they make suggestions, I have to take them seriously.
      -Back to the built in firewall-. Perhaps it does exactly what it's supposed to do?. It's not very visible and perhaps that's good?. The ones that they suggested however ,I find are a lot more visible so consequently I get the feeling that they are doing a little more. And, as I mentioned earlier they are the experts. So when it comes to protecting my PC I now rely on their suggestions.  And, because of their suggestions I don't expect to run into any more  malware, virus problems etc., but should it happen,guess where I'll go?

OH!  and by the way Allen, there have been suggestions that you have made that I have taken advantage of as well, ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
      -Back to the built in firewall-. Perhaps it does exactly what it's supposed to do?. It's not very visible and perhaps that's good?. The ones that they suggested however ,I find are a lot more visible so consequently I get the feeling that they are doing a little more.

This is incredibly similar to the concept pf When you change the insides, nobody notices but more along the lines of differences between two applications then two versions of the same application. In this case, you figure because a firewall doesn't learn from what you have already specified, it is "doing more", which is sort of a premature conclusion.

The windows firewall is pretty bloody noisy anyway. When an application connects to the internet- you can either Block or Unblock it, and when you Unblock it you can make it not prompt you each time. Then, it shuts up about that application from that time forward, pretty much works the same way as any other firewall. In fact, all firewalls work exactly the same- the difference is in the User interface, how it prompts you, how it tracks your selections and tries to guess what you want blocked and don't want blocked, etc.

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »
      This is incredibly similar to the concept pf When you change the insides, nobody notices but more along the lines of differences between two applications then two versions of the same application. In this case, you figure because a firewall doesn't learn from what you have already specified, it is "doing more", which is sort of a premature conclusion.

Perhaps, I should have been a little more articulate and said ; I believe that the recommended firewalls offer better protection, more choices and provide me with superior learning options. Can I prove it, probably not? But as I emphasized earlier, and it boils down to this, the main reason that I'm using what I'm using is because that's what the experts recommend.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
      the main reason that I'm using what I'm using is because that's what the experts recommend.

And for Vista and 7 they implicitly recommend using the built in firewall. Me and Allan (I would imagine) are referring to the newer Windows bi-directional Firewall in Vista and 7.

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 05:14:52 PM »

I don't have any AV, software firewall, or other "in the background" program-
      So perhaps we can agree to some degree. You use (or don't use) what's works for you. And I use what the experts recommend for me.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
       So perhaps we can agree to some degree. You use (or don't use) what's works for you. And I use what the experts recommend for me.

I never said I disagreed with what you use :P

overthehill

Apprentice

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »
      Well then why was this statement ever put into this post? ::).To me it served no purpose.