Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Help Configuring New Video  (Read 6115 times)

Need Help Configuring New Video
« on: July 15, 2005, 03:14:11 PM »
I'm building my computer and I just realized I may have a problem.  The motherboard I bought doesn't have onboard video.  I have an AGP video card but if the computer isn't even setup and stuff yet, how am I going to get the monitor to work when I can't load the drivers.  I won't be able to configure anything because I can't even get the screen working.  How can I fix this?

merlin_2

Re: Need Help Configuring New Video
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 03:27:18 PM »
So i take it you have formated the hardrive??......its best to take it easy........step by step and reap the benefits of your labours...and learn as well.......

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 04:04:15 PM »
    I won't be able to configure anything

You suspect it won't work?
    I can't even get the screen working.

You know it doesn't work?
    ???

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 09:19:54 PM »
    No, what I'm saying is...how am I going to be able to hook up a monitor when there are no drivers for it.  There is nothing at all on the hard drive.  I want to set up the BIOS and hard drive and stuff but I can't because I can't see how to without the monitor.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 02:43:54 AM »
      Your bios will drive the video with VGA and windows will give you at least a screen to work with so you can then install your video drivers.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 09:36:55 PM »
      But Windows isn't even installed yet.  Nothing is on the hard drive.

sovietspark

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 11:08:18 AM »
      There shouldn't be any problem anyway. Without drivers, it won't be able to use the card or its resources, but it'll use the computer's resources until the time when the drivers are installed. Just plug the monitor into the VGA/DVI connector and go, it should load.

I even fried my video card's GPU before, and I was still able to run my computer at 600 x 400 through the VGA on the video card.