Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sync Toy problems  (Read 4090 times)

jkolak

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    Sync Toy problems
    « on: May 17, 2010, 11:33:46 PM »
    After having my computer in malware removal in December, I decided I needed to get serious about backing up my data.

I don't have external media, but I do have sufficient storage available on the different computers' hard drives on my LAN.

I thought Sync Toy would be the ideal solution to sync folders such as My Documents, My Videos, etc.

It ran well the first time I tried it, but when I came back to keep my folder sync up to date, I got almost entirely errors, mostly with messages like, "Unable to create item, file already exists".

When the program started to run, it said it was analyzing for changes and compiling a list of files to copy. So I don't understand why it would try to copy files that already exist.

So now I have no confidence that the new files were actually copied to the backup location.

Any ideas? Is there another program I should be using to do this?

Thanks.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Sync Toy problems
    « Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:32:03 AM »
    The Sync Toy is a utility available free from Microsoft.

A Google search shows other have problems with it.
    Here a link to the social network Microsoft. They say there is no easy workaround from the issue discussed.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/synctoy/threads

Here is the most recent item found
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/synctoy/thread/9a93d0c0-bc45-4f42-864d-00fc41ce33be

Perhaps you may wish to use another free sync program.

jkolak

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:11:42 AM »
      Thanks Geek-9pm.

I was afraid it would be something like that.

I searched CNET and found a couple that seem awkward and difficult to use.

I was hoping someone would know what is the best software that people are using these days.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »
      SyncBack offers a Free version...worth a looksee.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jkolak

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »
        Thanks Patio.

I see it has a 5 star review from CNET, so it may be just what I'm looking for.

I don't know why something so obviously preferred didn't come up in my last search at CNET. I waded through 10 or 20 pages of programs and didn't see anything outstanding.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
        CNET suxx...
        But let us know how it goes...

Generally for Freeware i usually scan majorgeeks, softforge and others.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
        I recently installed Allway Sync.  Since I haven't used it much yet, all I can say is that the initial synchronizing between a computer and an network hard drive went fine.  Some user reviews at http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/Allway_Sync/Allway_Sync.html, for what they're worth.

jkolak

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:54:41 AM »
          SyncBack offers a Free version...worth a looksee.

I'm only a little late getting back to you! The reason is that I found Windows Live Mesh met my needs. But when Live Mesh was discontinued, I didn't want to use SkyDrive as they intended, so I went back to your SyncBack suggestion. I did use it for a while. Live sync is not available in the free version. I used it successfully in the mirror function, but that was not as useful because if I had to do something in the secondary computer, it wouldn't pick it up in the primary computer. So I had to do a workaround to save it in the public folder and manually pick it up when I went back to the other computer. I switched to FreeFileSync now, which is nearly the same user interface, but is completely free with all the features. I just installed it, so we will see how it works out.