Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Antivirus Soft malware stopped, but computer still slowing/freezing -please help  (Read 2572 times)

Seeker

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I visited a malicious site and Antivirus Soft malware invaded my PC. In safe mode, I downloaded & ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware & rkill, then ran AVG and seemed to get rid of it (according to the instructions on this site):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-soft                                   

Trouble is, every 10-15 minutes or so my system now slows to a crawl or freezes entirely for about 15 minutes. Every time I reboot, a bubble pops up in the lower left corner with a list of programs Windows is still blocking, including what I think are three Antivirus Soft programs (each ending in "...tssd.exe"). My comp will also note that its running slowly & ask if I want to switch to Windows Basic colors, but I just close this window, fearing it might be the malware.

I suspect their continued existence on my hard drive is the problem, but the list of programs (same list as what one finds when typing "msconfig" in the Run box under the Startup tab) does not give me the option to delete them entirely. I've tried an advanced search for each by name (including non-indexed areas) but can't find them. The list says all three files are located under [ C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Local\...] but when I open C, Users, and the file under my name, there is no AppData folder visible.

Can anyone give any advice on eliminating the malware (if it's still there) and stopping my comp from slowing? I've tried Disk Defragmenter, clearing my Windows Explorer & Firefox caches, rerunning AntiMalware & AVG - nothing is working.

Thanks,
    G

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "