Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Talking Program  (Read 10911 times)

Talking Program
« on: July 15, 2005, 09:23:50 PM »
I used to have this software on an old Macintosh where you could type text into a document and press play and the computer would speak what you wrote.  Are there any programs like this for Windows?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Talking Program
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 09:43:10 PM »
    Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessability>Narrator  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2005, 09:39:27 PM »
    That's not really what I'm looking for.  I want a program where you can type something out and then have the computer speak it back to you.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2005, 09:52:02 PM »
    I'm not sure where to find it now, but there sed to be a program called BonziBuddy... He is a purple monkey.. He acts as your friend lol  You can make him say whatever you type...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 10:17:39 PM »
      I want a program where you can type something out and then have the computer speak it back to you.

That's what narrator does  ???

Mac

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 08:16:44 AM »
      Narrator is not very sophisticated but this is... Read Please

There are a lot more to choose from on Google

Mac

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 12:18:16 AM »
      Note I use Read Please Plus in both English and French. You can download alternative languages too.

Very useful when reading long speeches which arrive by email. Just use 'Select all' and copy. If the Read Please clipboard option is set to 'Clear document, paste and play' it wil lbe automatically pasted from the clipboard and start being read immediately.

You need to have Read Please set to start when Windows Starts and minimised to the Systray.

Mac

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 12:27:49 AM »
      If you install Opera 8 then you can highlight the text on a web page, right-click and choose 'Speak'.

The first time you do this you'll be asked if you want to install the 10·5 Mb binary voice file.

You get a choice of male or female voices.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 06:44:35 AM »
      Firefox also has a narrator extension. Which is smaller than 10.5MB.

Mac

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 07:00:02 AM »
      The more comprehensive the voice package and the clearer the diction the bigger the file becomes.

The best I have heard so far is an AT&T natural voice with a file size of 2·6 Mb.

It is the full reader binary extension (including two voices, male and female) which is 10·5 Mb.

Thought I had better clear that up a little.

Mac

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 08:24:07 AM »
      You have to change the spacing and the punctuation sometimes to get the voice to read it properly.

E.G.

The more comprehensive the voice package and the clearer the diction the bigger the file becomes.

The best I have heard so far is an A T & T natural voice with a file size of 2.6 Megabytes.

It is the full reader binary extension (including two voices, male & female) which is 10.5 Megabytes.

Thought I had better clear that up a little too.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 08:42:03 AM »
      The narrator extension makes use of the Windows XP narrator voice. That is most likely why it is so small. Have you tested it? I had it before I reformatted, but I need to reinstall it.

Mac

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 09:05:54 AM »
      I find it is too crude and the voice it uses is monotonous.

kenny123

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 06:36:10 AM »
      There used to be a program for the Amiga 500 called Wordworth which read back the typing you had done.I believe there is still a version for the PC going about but it may not run under Windows xp. Adobe Acrobat version 6 ( not the reader,but the creator)will speak back what you have typed.It is very expensive though.