Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: please help  (Read 2559 times)

magrocks90

Topic Starter

please help
    « on: May 20, 2010, 01:42:58 PM »
    i just recently hooked up internet again after one and a half years. i dont know what caused it but i have been getting the dep stopped rundll32 message and the dep stopped ie message constantly and sometimes cant get on ie. i have looked at several message boards and tried pretty much every single thing ive read. the last time i had the rundll prob it was spybot and i already uninstalled that and its still happening. its so frustrating that im almost thinking if one of you cant help me i might just want to pay the money to take the computer to someone and get it restored to original. ive got vista and when i hooked up the internet a bunch of updates came up so i installed all of them so im thinking it was one of those. p.s. please dont overlook the fact that ive already mentioned that ive tried every single thing ive read about. i am however open minded and willing to hear what you have to say. heeeeeellllp haha 

marvinengland

Hopeful

Re: please help
      « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:56:38 PM »
      dep stopped rundll32 message and the dep stopped.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistaapps/thread/054eee0d-b3d1-4252-927c-40a33477bc5c

( All the following from the above site.)

Hydrant Hunter wrote:

"Have you run a full disk check to make sure you aren't dealing with data corruption on your drive?  If that isn't at least part of the issue, have you tried disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention)?

DEP always results in AppCrashes for me so I ended up disabling it entirely.  I have installed some XP drivers and software so I'm not entirely surprised that I've encountered this.  If you've done the same this might be part of the issue.

You might want to try this, but be aware that you are disabling a rather important protection feature of Windows...

To turn DEP completely off in Vista open a command window (or click on Start/Run and type cmd and hit return) and type the following:
      bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

To turn DEP back on:
      bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn

In Vista, the effect is immediate - no reboot required.

DEP can be somewhat fine tuned through the GUI...

- Right click Computer, select properties (or CP/<Classic View>/System)
      - Select Advanced System Settings (in the left pane)
      - Advanced tab (you should already be there)
      - Click Settings under Performance
      - Select the Data Execution Prevention tab
      - Select "Turn on DEP for all programs..."
      - Click Add and browse to \Windows\System32\Rundll32.exe
      - You might also want to add \Windows\explorer.exe

This is rather extreme (and should only be done temporarily for troubleshooting), so you might want to consider backing up and reinstalling if no better solution is found for you.  I realize that's a huge hassle, but better safe than convenient - Vista is definitely more robust than XP, but when it breaks it seems to break really bad - as you've experienced.

Good luck!"
      USA

magrocks90

Topic Starter

Re: please help
        « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:32:46 PM »
        i tried that and it didnt work. then i tried shutting it off the other way through control panel which....hmmm suprise....also didnt work. next please