Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Powering Off Randomly...?  (Read 2573 times)

jjane

Topic Starter

Computer Powering Off Randomly...?
    « on: May 21, 2010, 03:45:05 AM »
    Hi there,

I'm running a dell inspiron 600m with Windows XP.

My computer has been displaying this error message when I boot up:
    "The AC Power Adapter Type Cannot Be Determined. This will prevent optimal system performance."

This showed up for a while, then I bought a new AC adapter - just a regular ol' made in china adapter. Things worked fine for a while, then I start getting the error message again, but nothing else.

Tonight - randomly - the computer has shut down.  It's not at regular intervals either. If anything it seems to be if I move the computer.

do I need to purchase a new AC adapter - one that is official dell product?

Thank you in advance. This site is awesome!  ;D

jjane

Topic Starter

Re: Computer Powering Off Randomly...?
      « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »
      Well, I had just finished the "welcome" post and was about to press the "post" button when the computer shut off again last night. 

Found my old AC adapter and have been using it this morning with no shut off problems, but I still got that error when it powered up.  Maybe a new AC adapter is what I need? 

I would still appreciate the advice.  Thanks!

pcs365_2

Beginner

Re: Computer Powering Off Randomly...?
        « Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:44:03 AM »
        Hi,

In the center of your power adapter plug that goes into your computer, there is a little pin that your laptop uses to communicate with the power adapter. Somewhere, that has broken. If you still have your computer in warranty, email Dell, andthey will send you a replacement one.

If you don't get it replaced, your computer will still run from the power adapter, but probably won't charge.
        PCS365.2
        Bangalore.