Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Over Current Status Detected  (Read 2794 times)

br3akth3w1nd

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    USB Over Current Status Detected
    « on: May 28, 2010, 07:03:57 AM »
    Thats what my computer says when I turn it on. Oh and ya.. there is a "Shutting down in 15 sec" message. I tried by unplugging all the usb cables but it didnt work. What could it be? Ahh why did it have to be today :-\ . The computer was working fine yesterday, I have changed nothing on it. Actually Ive barely used it yesterday o.0. Whats going on here.. My motherboard is ASUS CrossFireX Ready (I think lol ;P)

P.S. Is it ok to have my computer on a carpet?

Mulreay

Re: USB Over Current Status Detected
    « Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »
    Can you provide the full system specs please. Hardware and software.

br3akth3w1nd

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 02:32:15 AM »
      Can you provide the full system specs please. Hardware and software.
      OS - Windows 7 Ultimate, CPU - AMD 2.6 GHz x 4, RAM - 4 GB, HDD - 1 TB, Video - 3 GB, Motherboard - ASUS, Anti-Virus - AVG (not the free edition), Firewall - ON with some exceptions, Windows Update - ON, USB Ports - 8-10, 1x Floppy, 1x DVD, Installed Programs - Skype, Ashampoo Windows Optimizer 6, Google Chrome, Newest IE, I think I have Mozilla Firefox too, A lot of drivers and Updates and MANY games, other programs that I rarely use and stuff.. If you need anything else tell me.

Edit: Ok, I searched in google and found that the problem should've came from a new BIOS update, that has a bug in it. This is what I found in other forums > "I looked at alot of message boards that night and it seems that this came with the 1017 BIOS Upgrade for the Asus A8N Deluxe Board. I ended up rolling my bios drivers back to 1015 and the pc has been working fine since then." Hmm.. I am kind of a newb in here. How to roll back drivers when my computer switches off when it loads? Even when I press DEL or something else to enter setup it says "Entering.." or something like that and after 15 seconds it turnss off like awlays. Can someone help me?

Edit 2: Ive found something else "Download the bios flash to a bootable floppy disk and boot to it and flash the bios that way." I have a floppy drive and it works fine but how am I supposed to boot it if the computer shuts down after 15 secs no matter what? And from where can I get those drivers hmmm...
      Can someone help me  ???
      « Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 03:01:50 AM by br3akth3w1nd »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 05:05:59 AM »
      P.S. Is it ok to have my computer on a carpet?

In my opinion, NO!. (1) Depending on the depth of the carpet pile, air inlet holes in the bottom of the computer can get blocked. Cases usually have rubber feet to raise the case slightly. A carpet can cancel this out. (2) Fibres of carpet material can get sucked in and block fans, clog up heatsinks, etc. So maybe you should investigate if overheating has occurred and if necessary clean out the computer (carefully!)

br3akth3w1nd

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:14:31 AM »
        In my opinion, NO!. (1) Depending on the depth of the carpet pile, air inlet holes in the bottom of the computer can get blocked. Cases usually have rubber feet to raise the case slightly. A carpet can cancel this out. (2) Fibres of carpet material can get sucked in and block fans, clog up heatsinks, etc. So maybe you should investigate if overheating has occurred and if necessary clean out the computer (carefully!)

Hmm yeah I guess that was the problem too. A part of my motherboard had burned and it was changed. 8/9 of my computer USBs are now useable.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:18:36 AM »
        I accidentally blocked the exhaust on my laptop while it was on while I was asleep.

when I woke up it nearly burned my hands the entire thing was so hot.

this is sort of what happens when you block the intake vents with something like a carpet. But it's usually worse then because it sucks up all the dust and fluff and other fun stuff, as ST notes.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.