Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No dial tone for dial up  (Read 2146 times)

Alip99

No dial tone for dial up
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:29:31 AM »
Hello, I am trying to help a friend who knows nothing about computers. I set her computer up in October and it was working fine. She doesn't know what happened but recently the internet just stopped working (she has an older Sony desktop computer, XP, and basicnet as her internet...which is dial up). When I bring the computer over to my house (i have high speed internet), the internet works fine. But when I try to connect on her dial up it just keeps saying no dial tone. When the line is connected to her phone, she gets a dial tone and the phone works fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a beginner as well! Thanks so much.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: No dial tone for dial up
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 05:40:55 PM »
Your "Default Connection" changes when you move the computer from Dial-up to Network.
Control Panel--Internet Options---Connections
Dial-up and LAN are configured there.

TechGeek

Intermediate
    • Guide to WiFi Optimization
  • Experience: Expert
Re: No dial tone for dial up
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:22:05 PM »
It could be a problem with her modem. Try the dial up at your house (remember to unplug your DSL modem first if you use one).
I help run my home improvement and home automation forum.