Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer dell, bla,bla  (Read 5315 times)

lino124

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    Hello everyone!
    I have a Dell Precision 370, a seagate  HDD Cheetah 15K.5, 80GB. Connected on a scsi card via a Foxconn scsi cable.

The problem is when i go to BAIOS, installed devices i get the following info:
    Onboard SATA Hard Disk Not Present
    Onboard IDE Hard Disk not Present

But the seagate HDD appeaas as 03,39320 A:0 Seagate ST3734....
    When i try to install Win XP Pro i get the following error "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

Any help on this issue i have been on it for the past 4hrs.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Have you ever installed XP on a SCCSI before?
    If not, search this forum for
    XP scsi
    and find how others have done it with trepidation.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    U320 SCSI Controller
    SCSI drives will not show in BIOS.

lino124

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      Thanks for the posts,

I have made all possible search on google, and followed some ideas in to sorting out this issue, i even downloaded the drivers for the scsi card 39320, presed F6 and followed all steps i still get the same error.
      Do i have to go into Baios and change anything? such as SATA RAID or Combination, if so what do i exactly change?
      By the way its my first time installing Win XP Pro on a scsi drive, if someone did prevoiusly i kindly beg for your input  ???.

Please help!

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      Download Seagate Seatools for DOS and create a boot CD for testing the hard drive.
      http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

You said: ..."seagate HDD appeaas as 03,39320 A:0 Seagate ST3734...."
      When did you see this message?
      Is this the original hard drive or a replacement?

If you haven't wiped the hard drive, you may have to use the Dell setup to reinstall.

lino124

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        Thanks everyone for your post.

I finnaly managed to solve the problem, i read a post on google which suggested i must use a Dell CD with XP OS the ones that are distributed only with a new dell computer.

I had to look for one of these dell CDs and my problem was solved. But the question is: what is contained in this dell cd which is not included in other XP OS cds i was using previously?

Once again guys thanks so much for all the input.  :)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        ...I had to look for one of these dell CDs and my problem was solved. But the question is: what is contained in this dell cd which is not included in other XP OS cds i was using previously?...
        Most likely, the proper drivers & an automatic routine to use them at the right time.
        They also have the capability to perform a Repair Install from the hidden partition contained on most all Dell computers.  This hidden partition is a compressed image of the C-Drive "as shipped" configuration.  If you get to Windows--Disk Management, you will likely see an unknow partition.  Don't ever delete it.

lino124

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          Thanks for the advice and the explanation.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          Those hard drives are getting expensive, $170 on Newegg, so hope it keeps going for you.