Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Non-latching caps-lock key :(  (Read 2787 times)

philguk

Topic Starter

Rookie

Non-latching caps-lock key :(
    « on: May 26, 2010, 01:44:34 AM »
    I am running Wndows XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Latitude laptop and suddenly, for no apparent reason, the caps lock key on the keyboard is NOT latching

I have tried both the laptop keyboard itself AND an external (PS/2 attached) keyboard - they both behave the same

Also, I have restarted Windows in safe mode and then the caps-lock key DOES latch - it's only when running XP normally that it doesn't latch....

I'm assuming therefore that this is a Windows problem (a bad setting somewhere?) rather than a hardware one

When I press the key, the caps-lock light does illuminate briefly, but then goes out again almost immediately

This is getting to be very irritating, so I'd appreciate any suggestion as to how to put this right

Many thanks

Phil G

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Non-latching caps-lock key :(
      « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »
      Are you running any special keyboard software (like from Logitech or another well-known keyboard manufacturer)?  If so, then it may be trying to control the current state of Caps Lock, Num Lock, etc.
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

philguk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:09:16 PM »
        Are you running any special keyboard software (like from Logitech or another well-known keyboard manufacturer)?  If so, then it may be trying to control the current state of Caps Lock, Num Lock, etc.

Nope

So far as I know, NOTHING has changed (apart from some MS fixes) since this was last working

It's very odd and very annoying

Phil G

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:19:10 PM »
          Nope

So far as I know, NOTHING has changed (apart from some MS fixes) since this was last working

It's very odd and very annoying

Phil G

Any optional MS Fixes installed?  Sometimes Microsoft Update will recommend keyboard/mouse/whatever utilities (I've seen this happen when I had a Dell keyboard connected to a KVM switch--Microsoft Update recommended some HP keyboard utility).
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:25:25 PM »
          Do you have the correct keyboard driver installed?

philguk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:29:46 AM »
            Do you have the correct keyboard driver installed?

I guess so - it's been working fine for years and has only recently started playing up

Also, when I shut down or hibernate Windows, the key DOES become latching during the Windows shutdown process!

philguk

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 01:30:25 AM »
              Any optional MS Fixes installed?  Sometimes Microsoft Update will recommend keyboard/mouse/whatever utilities (I've seen this happen when I had a Dell keyboard connected to a KVM switch--Microsoft Update recommended some HP keyboard utility).

Not so far as I know - but how could I tell for sure?