Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista to Window 7 PROBLEM  (Read 3692 times)

kenster89

Topic Starter

Starter

Vista to Window 7 PROBLEM
    « on: May 26, 2010, 10:37:04 AM »
    Hi all,

I'm attempting to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional from Vista Home Premium (the Custom Installation). When I reach the screen to select where I want to install the new OS, none of my hard drives show up.  Yes, I tried clicking on 'Load Drivers', but that didn't work either. I also noticed that in the 'Disk Management' tool built into Windows, my hard drive is still not showing up. I've tried just about everything. The only other thing I could think of is that some sort of malware is causing the problem. I've performed several virus scans, but the problem still persists.

So in short, why isn't the Windows 7 installer recognizing my C: drive?

*I've attached a couple screenshots showing the problem and another with my full specs.

Thanks

drivenbywhat

Beginner

Re: Vista to Window 7 PROBLEM
      « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 12:52:16 PM »
      I don't see the screenshots you are talking about but that's okay. I think your problem is the version compatibility. Vista Home Premium is the "home" edition of Windows. Windows 7 Professional is the "business" edition of Windows. Since they don't belong to the same edition there isn't a "direct" upgrade path between them. To upgrade to windows 7 professional you would need to have vista business. With your current windows you can only go to windows 7 home premium or ultimate. Here is a link that explains it in a chart type way.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579%28WS.10%29.aspx

However, depending on whether or not you have the full version of windows 7 disc or the upgrade version you may be able to install windows 7 but it would be a clean install, which means it doesn't save any of your previous files.
      If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 01:31:24 PM »
        Yes, I tried clicking on 'Load Drivers', but that didn't work either.

Where are you loading your drivers from?  A flash drive?  Does the flash drive have proper Windows 7 drivers for your hard drive controller?  Are you using a factory-built PC (i.e.: Dell, HP) or a custom-built?  If custom-built, what's the make and model of your motherboard?
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
        Where are you loading your drivers from?  A flash drive?  Does the flash drive have proper Windows 7 drivers for your hard drive controller?  Are you using a factory-built PC (i.e.: Dell, HP) or a custom-built?  If custom-built, what's the make and model of your motherboard?
        Why would you think a flash drive?

killerb255

Adviser
          « Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »
          Why would you think a flash drive?

...because it's the equivalent of using a floppy in Windows NT/2000/XP/Server 2003 via "Press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver."  In Vista/7/2008/2008R2, you can copy the mass storage drivers to any kind of storage media that's readable by the installer, and a flash drive is most common. 

...but then again, the one thing I didn't think of when posting last was that this is an upgrade install.  The drives "should" show up already in the installer.  Then again, if the Windows 7 installer is ignoring the current Vista HAL (for whatever reason), then loading the mass storage drivers from a flash drive could still be viable...
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 02:55:21 PM »

Then again, if the Windows 7 installer is ignoring the current Vista HAL (for whatever reason), then loading the mass storage drivers from a flash drive could still be viable...
          there is using acronyms, and there is throwing out acronyms randomly.

Guess which category this falls in.
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 02:56:59 PM »
          You never know - he might have been talking about the computer in the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey

kenster89

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 03:09:20 PM »
            However, depending on whether or not you have the full version of windows 7 disc or the upgrade version you may be able to install windows 7 but it would be a clean install, which means it doesn't save any of your previous files.

drivenbywhat,

I do have the Upgrade version. And no, I don't have a disk since it was downloaded from online (legally). If the upgrade version of the 7 installer does not let you do a custom install from Vista Home Premium, THEN WHY IS THE OPTION THERE?? argg

P.S. Sorry here are the screens

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

kenster89

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 03:20:16 PM »
              ...but then again, the one thing I didn't think of when posting last was that this is an upgrade install.  The drives "should" show up already in the installer.  Then again, if the Windows 7 installer is ignoring the current Vista HAL (for whatever reason), then loading the mass storage drivers from a flash drive could still be viable...

killerb255,

I tried loading from a Vista Recovery disk I had. But you've got something wrong...technically I am not doing the Upgrade Install but rather the Custom Install (since I'm going from WVHP to W7P) acronyms hahaha ;D

drivenbywhat

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 03:46:49 PM »
                Well I have not seen no c drive in disk management before. That is really odd. I did a quick search online and things pointed to a possible malware infection or windows corruption. Before moving any further try the following.

Do you know how to check the drive for errors? Go to "my computer" right click "c" & select "properties". Then go to the "tools" tab & click the button "check now". Tell me if it allows you to run the tool or you get some error message. If it runs fine move to the next step.

What software are you using to scan malware? Go online to "windows one live care" and do a scan with it. Then search for "housecall" by trend and do a scan with it as well.

Once we can determine these are or aren't the problem we can move on. Also from the picture it may seem like you do need drivers to see the drive but I want you to check the above first. Do you have a raid setup? What type of pc do you have?
                If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

killerb255

Adviser
                  « Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
                  there is using acronyms, and there is throwing out acronyms randomly.

Guess which category this falls in.

I'm the kind of person that will admit when I'm wrong, but I'm more likely to do so with a reason why.

So "HAL" is thrown out randomly?  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the Hardware Abstraction Layer is?

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  • Experience: Beginner
                  « Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:44:51 AM »
                  A little known secret is with Win7 you can perform a Clean install from the upgrade DVD...

]Clik Here

Post back if you have any questions...
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "