Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Administrator privileges?  (Read 4579 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Administrator privileges?
    « on: May 22, 2010, 01:55:25 AM »
    I wet to up date my wife's computer and was told that I needed administrator  privileges. Her lap top has Windows 7. How do I get administrator privileges? There is only one account on her lap top and that is hers. Thanks for the help.

talontromper

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Administrator privileges?
    « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 02:12:57 AM »
    The easiest way to enable or disable the Windows 7 build in administrator account
    is from the command line. Open a command prompt with administrator rights.
    This is done by right-clicking on the command prompt icon in the Windows 7 start
    menu and selecting Run As Administrator from the available options.

To enable the Windows 7 administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes

To disable the Windows 7 administrator account:

net user administrator /active:no

To change the password of the Windows 7 administrator account:

Net user administrator password

Next, log off your wife's account and log onto the admin accout.
    A word of advice.... after doing this disable the new administrator account this is a hidden account that is not typically needed by most users and pose a security risk if left on without a password. So, when done installing W/e you need to disable the account as stated above
    "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:52:00 AM »
    If hers is the only account then just boot it up and you'll be the admin.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
      I just up dated every thing with out changing any thing. Then when I finished a box came up from Super Anti spyware that said I needed to up date. When I click on it it tells me,(the update must be done from an administrator privileges. The box closed I bring up Super anti spyware click on up date and it tells me it is up to date. All is well with the world. If it keeps giving such I will remove it and reinstall. Thank you much for your time and help. Oh I didn't understand what you meant by right-click on command prompt. Where is the command prompt icon? Are you talking about the start button? Or are you talking about the search box when you click on the start button? Please explain.

talontromper

Hopeful
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 12:14:31 AM »
      what he mean was go to the start button and the go to all programs then go to accessories, system tools, command prompt..... then right click, run as admin 
      "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 04:38:48 AM »
        Very good. I understand now. According to the computer she is the administrator.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 08:35:25 AM »
        Very good. I understand now. According to the computer she is the administrator.
        Windows Vista and 7 sort of changed what it means to have an account that is an administrator.

When you log on, you are given a user token- this basically says what you can and cannot do. With Vista and 7, when you originally log on, it gives you a "stripped down" token, that denies access to a number of things. The "full" token (that is, the one that has all the admin privileges and so forth) is only accessible by either UAC or using the "run as administrator" option.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 08:57:19 AM »

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
          Windows Vista and 7 sort of changed what it means to have an account that is an administrator.

When you log on, you are given a user token- this basically says what you can and cannot do. With Vista and 7, when you originally log on, it gives you a "stripped down" token, that denies access to a number of things. The "full" token (that is, the one that has all the admin privileges and so forth) is only accessible by either UAC or using the "run as administrator" option.

...or logging in with the built-in Administrator account.  By default, it's disabled unless no user account is created during installation (which is possible through the use of an answer file with SkipUserOOBE and SkipMachineOOBE set to true).

Using the built-in Administrator account, UAC can be set to any level, and you'll never get a single UAC prompt!  Everything runs with admin privileges a la XP. 

The same thing is true in Windows Server 2008/2008 R2, even with Active Directory--the built in domain administrator account is disabled as well, and when enabled, no UAC prompts.
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:24:20 PM »
          ...or logging in with the built-in Administrator account.  By default, it's disabled unless no user account is created during installation (which is possible through the use of an answer file with SkipUserOOBE and SkipMachineOOBE set to true).

Using the built-in Administrator account, UAC can be set to any level, and you'll never get a single UAC prompt!  Everything runs with admin privileges a la XP. 

You say that like it's a good thing.

There is a reason smart Linux users never run as root when they can help it.

Besides, you don't need to run as the administrator account to do that. you can simply disable UAC altogether- now, even though your programs will still be running with a stripped token, elevation is as simple as a function call! Now that's security!
          I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

+Asking

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 05:56:16 AM »

To enable the Windows 7 administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes

To disable the Windows 7 administrator account:

net user administrator /active:no

To change the password of the Windows 7 administrator account:

Net user administrator password

Your most likely to get "error 5" if you attempt to do that.

killerb255

Adviser
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:04:32 AM »

You say that like it's a good thing.

There is a reason smart Linux users never run as root when they can help it.

Besides, you don't need to run as the administrator account to do that. you can simply disable UAC altogether- now, even though your programs will still be running with a stripped token, elevation is as simple as a function call! Now that's security!

True.  In general, it's not a good idea to run as administrator on any OS if one can help it.

However, look at what happened when Microsoft decided to enforce this best practice with Vista (and 7) UAC: annoyed users.  People don't like change and one of the reasons Vista got so much negative flak was because of this.  I guess there really is no such thing as "convenient security"...

Perhaps I should have phrased this as a "last resort" option rather than "Annoyed?  No problem!  Run as the built-in administrator!"  It's definitely not something I would recommend to the average Joe.  Power users, sure, but only with the disclaimer that if something goes wrong, it's on them...
            Quote from: talontromper
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.