Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer turns on for ~1 second, then immediately off.  (Read 5397 times)

Joonce

Computer turns on for ~1 second, then immediately off.
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:39:21 PM »
I just transferred my computer components to a new case, it had previously been working fine.

Now whenever I turn it on, the fans/etc. turn on for approximately 1 second, then everything immediately shuts off.

Here are my specs:
Intel Desktop Board dg33fb
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @2.93 GHz (stock) w/ stock cooler
Diamond Radeon HD 4670 w/ Zalman VF900 cooler
Patriot PC2-6400 2GB RAM (2x1GB) PSD22G800K
Thermaltake 500w PSU
Maxtor 320GB HDD

I have already determined that it is not a PSU problem, as I tried it with two different PSUs and the problem persisted.

I also tried removing all components except the Processor/fan, and then the CPU fan did start up and stay on, and I got the BIOS code of 3 beeps.
Which means:
3 beeps - Base 64 K memory failure

* Reseat the memory.
    * Make sure that the contacts on the memory and the socket are clean.
    * Try removing one bank of memory modules at a time. Note: Some systems might need to have a memory module in Bank 0.
    * Try using memory modules from the same manufacturer with the same part number and speed.
    * Check for a faulty memory module by trying the memory in a known good system.
    * Trying known good memory in the system.
    * Check the power supply and check for power fluctuations.
    * If the steps above do not resolve the problem, the desktop board may be defective. Try a different desktop board.

This made me think that maybe my MOBO wasn't screwed, so I tried each of the 2 RAM sticks individually, and it shut down as before.

Then I tried known good RAM from another computer, still nothing.

I also tested the MOBO battery with a multimeter, and it was good.

So unless someone knows anything else I could try, then I suppose I need to buy a new Motherboard.

Sodde

Rookie

Re: Computer turns on for ~1 second, then immediately off.
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »
    If it were in my hands and assuming that all of the components are off the MB apart from a stick of RAM, I'd be connecting a POST tester. Without that, I'd maybe disconnect all power to the PC, pull the CMOS battery and leave it out for around 15mins then reinsert battery and power up again. If that doesnt work, take the MB out of the case, connect the power from the PSU to the board along with the cpu fan and without using the 'power-on' switch, momentarily bridge the power switch terminals on the MB and see if it runs. That way you've bypassed everything associated with the case internals.
    Something I've found in the past is some of the case lights and switches can be wired incorrectly from assembly.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:54:16 PM »
    Something I've found in the past is some of the case lights and switches can be wired incorrectly from assembly.

Yes, the front panel is not wire right.

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
      « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:40:45 AM »
      Make sure the cpu cooler is on properly and thermal paste is properly installed.  It is possible the cooler came loose with the move and the cpu is shutting it down from the heat?
      Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »
      Make sure the cpu cooler is on properly and thermal paste is properly installed.  It is possible the cooler came loose with the move and the cpu is shutting it down from the heat?

I doubt it, not in ~1 second. I did some experiments with this and the fastest I could get it to shut back down was nearly 10 seconds.

Joonce, double and triple check your connection, including the front case wiring and all power cables. If you have to, take it apart and put it back together, taking the time to clean out the memory slots and checking that all of the connectors are undamaged, clear of any obstructions, and properly and firmly connected.

It is entirely possible that the board got damaged when you moved it, through a static shock or something.

WindowsGeek

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:54:18 AM »
        Did you test the mobo on the bench? if not, try that. Take out the mobo along with the CPU, RAM, video card if yiu have it separate and the PSU and power it up out of the case. Place it on some book or a cardboard box (the mobo box is fine).

It's possible that something inside the case is causing a short, causing the mobo to power off. Use a POST card if you still can't power it on, as suggested by others.

pcuser123

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
          double check all wiring and make sure all obstructions on the plating are cleared

it is possible that the wiring could be affected by static or something
          let me know if its not fixed