Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to mitigate the effects of a flimsy USB port  (Read 2700 times)

silenius

Topic Starter

Starter

How to mitigate the effects of a flimsy USB port
    « on: May 27, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
    Hello, earlier today, I was trying to plug a charger cable into a USB port on my laptop (Asus), and the cord was having a hard time fitting into the port. Because of this, I decided to do the only logical thing and tried to force the cord into the port, and when I tried this seemingly bulletproof strategy, the entire computer promptly turned off and would not turn back on. A few hours and some tweezers later and I was able to get the black connector piece inside the port unjammed. The computer is working fine now but the little black piece inside is still very flimsy and loose, and I am worried that this will cause future problems. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to try and mitigate future damage to my computer? However, If you didn't figure it out from the story, I am not the most delicate person on the planet. I know my way around the inside of a desktop OK but laptops are not quite as user friendly an experience so anything that involves me going inside the PC is probably not in my best interest. Thanks alot for reading and any wisdom you might share.

Silenius

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to mitigate the effects of a flimsy USB port
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:04:35 AM »
    I'm afraid your only option at this point would be a laptop repair shop...
    Best case scenario they can replace/solder a new port on...

Worst case scenario...you will be replacing the MBoard in that machine...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

Re: How to mitigate the effects of a flimsy USB port
      « Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »
      Most computers including laptops provide more than one USB port. Assuming such is your situation. Throw up a cordon around the damaged port and purchase a USB multiplier device and install it in an undamaged port. That should expand the available ports by 3 .There will be 4 on the device but of course the device will be using one to connect to the laptop hence 3 additional. I suggest a powered unit so as to maximize the utilization of the USB devices--particularly those that require more power. truenorth