Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help uninstalling program  (Read 4197 times)

manco3

Topic Starter

Starter

Help uninstalling program
    « on: May 30, 2010, 08:11:14 AM »
    Hello everyone.  I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 2), 32 bit, 4 gig ram, Intel T2250 processor (1.73 ghz) with a 110 gig HD.

I noticed that my hard drive seemed rather full (only 35.8 gig free).  So I ran windows disk cleanup, I ran CCleaner and I ran Wise Disk Cleaner with only minimal success.  So I looked to see if there were any programs that I could remove (that I don't use).  In the add remove I came across "WeightWatchers On-The-Go", an old program of my wife's, and it said that it was 20.5 gigs.  So, after asking the better half (who didn't even remember the program), I tried to uninstall.  I then received this error:

>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.CPP (468
    PAPP:Weight Watchers On-the-Go
    PVENDOR:WeightWatchers.com, Inc.
    (http://www.WeightWatchers.com)
    PGUID:02ED27A2-8C9B-467B-A219-808F87AD5C7F
    $9.1.0.419
    @Windows  Service Pack 2 (6002) IE 8.0.6001.18904

with an OK button below.  When I click OK, I get this error from InstallShield Wizard:

Please do the following:
      -Close any running programs
      -Empty your temporary folder
      -Check your Internet connection (Internet-based Setups)
    Then try to run the Setup again.
    Error code:  -5001

I've tried to run it in safe mode also, with no avail.  Any help would be appreciated

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Help uninstalling program
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 08:57:41 AM »
    You can either reinstall and then uninstall it, try REVO Uninstaller, or just delete the folder manually (it won't uninstall it, but with a program like that it's no big deal - the files will be gone and the space will be free) and leave the program entries in the registry - no harm done.

Also, either disable and then re-enable system restore (note - all restore points will be deleted immediately) or just disable it completely and start using disc imaging software on a regular basis. This will free up a lot of space.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:58:31 AM »
    Actually, if you have a 110 GB hard drive with 38.5 GB free, it is not "rather full" at all. It is only 65% full.

manco3

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 12:33:12 PM »
      Well, I tried Revo and got the same messages.  And I deleted the folders under program files.  After a restart, it still says that there's a 20gig file there that can't be installed.  ???

And I know that a 67% full disk isn't overly full, but it should be only 49% full.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »
      And I know that a 67% full disk isn't overly full, but it should be only 49% full.

Who told you that? A hard disk salesman? Or somebody with Seagate shares? It is nonsense.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »
      Download and run Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). Uncheck anything related to the program you uninstalled and reboot.

manco3

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »
        What I meant to say is "but when it supposed to be only 49% full."  What's bothering me is that there is 20gig of junk on my hard drive that I don't want and can't get rid of.

Allan, I ran the Startup Control Panel and saw nothing there related to this program

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »
        Okay, then you shouldn't be getting any messages when the OS loads - are you? And if you are saying that there is still something on your drive that is using space and you don't know what it is, download and run treesize (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml)

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 01:07:09 PM »
        What I meant to say is "but when it supposed to be only 49% full."  What's bothering me is that there is 20gig of junk on my hard drive that I don't want and can't get rid of.

How do you know there is 20 GB of junk? Where is it located? And how do you know that the disk "should" be 49% full? Maybe if we know how you obtained this figure, we can work out what to do next.