Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista regulate my games?  (Read 4972 times)

IstNick

Topic Starter

Vista regulate my games?
    « on: July 09, 2010, 02:59:58 PM »
    Ok I have a good computer, but it is horrible at the same time. it HAS to be vista, I'm virus free, I defragment once a week, and error check. I have 250 gb free. Vista service pack 2. Now I know I need a new graphics card for my games, but they play worse on this computer than an older one that didn't have vista. It can't even play Rome total war, and it was able to before. here is the weirdest part.. When I play TES:IV Oblivion I start out for the 1st minute or 2 of game play with good fps. 30-40..but after about a minute of play it crashes to just 4fps no matter where I'm at. Like I said its bad.

I have a 500 gb hardrive, 4gbs of ram, nvidia geforce 8400 GS and vista service pack 2. I've had this computer for about 4 months.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Vista regulate my games?
    « Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:49:59 PM »
    Is this a laptop or desktop computer?
    Does it have a model number?
    How fast is the processor?
    What are the specs of your other, older computer?

IstNick

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:56:17 PM »
      Old computer was crap haha, it was all from 2002. This is a desktop. I have a good processer, amd x2 dual core 5200+.

killerb255

Adviser
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »
        Old computer was crap haha, it was all from 2002. This is a desktop. I have a good processer, amd x2 dual core 5200+.

I guess that's an OK processor, since that was out in...2007 I think (just a guess).

Anyway...either your CPU or video card is overheating.

Time for OCCT: http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download
        Quote from: talontromper
        Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

coastie65

Rookie

• Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 01:49:41 PM »
        Ok I have a good computer, but it is horrible at the same time. it HAS to be vista, I'm virus free, I defragment once a week, and error check. I have 250 gb free. Vista service pack 2. Now I know I need a new graphics card for my games, but they play worse on this computer than an older one that didn't have vista. It can't even play Rome total war, and it was able to before. here is the weirdest part.. When I play TES:IV Oblivion I start out for the 1st minute or 2 of game play with good fps. 30-40..but after about a minute of play it crashes to just 4fps no matter where I'm at. Like I said its bad.

I have a 500 gb hardrive, 4gbs of ram, nvidia geforce 8400 GS and vista service pack 2. I've had this computer for about 4 months.

OK one BIG problem, the 8400GS card. It is junk as far as gaming goes. The Bit transfer rate is only 64 and you should have something with a bit transfer rate of 128 and that is only one aspect of the card. Although this doesn't apply to your situation, Bethesda Stuff doen't play well with Intel Quad cores for some reason. Most just go into Dual Core mode to play them ( AMD Quads do fine from what I've seen ).
        Cooler Max 912 HAF Case, ASUS Z87-Pro MOBO, i7 4770k CPU OC'd to 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB of GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980, Gelid Tranquillo cooler, 2 1Tb WD Caviar Black HDDs, Samsung Series 850 EVO 1 Tb SSD, Corsair AX850w PSU, LITE-ON iHAS124-04 Optical drive. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

killerb255

Adviser
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:41:33 PM »
          OK one BIG problem, the 8400GS card. It is junk as far as gaming goes. The Bit transfer rate is only 64 and you should have something with a bit transfer rate of 128 and that is only one aspect of the card. Although this doesn't apply to your situation, Bethesda Stuff doen't play well with Intel Quad cores for some reason. Most just go into Dual Core mode to play them ( AMD Quads do fine from what I've seen ).

Very good point. 

IMO, the only good nVidia gaming cards in the 8000 series is the 8800s (GS, GT, GTS, GTX, Ultra).

Go here for a good video card hierarchy:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697.html
          Quote from: talontromper
          Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

coastie65

Rookie

• Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
          Very good point. 

IMO, the only good nVidia gaming cards in the 8000 series is the 8800s (GS, GT, GTS, GTX, Ultra).

Go here for a good video card hierarchy:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697.html

The 8600GT was a good card. I had it in the emachines and ran the Crysis demo with settings cranked up and the AA turned off and it did fine.
          Cooler Max 912 HAF Case, ASUS Z87-Pro MOBO, i7 4770k CPU OC'd to 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB of GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980, Gelid Tranquillo cooler, 2 1Tb WD Caviar Black HDDs, Samsung Series 850 EVO 1 Tb SSD, Corsair AX850w PSU, LITE-ON iHAS124-04 Optical drive. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit