Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A/V on desktop  (Read 9627 times)

Kyle

A/V on desktop
« on: July 17, 2005, 03:57:05 PM »
I have A/V slots on my desktop ( yellow, red, and white)...and I think they are meant to allow me to hook it to my TV so I can play DVDs on the computer, and view them on the TV, but i dont know how to get that to happen.  Also, I am wondering if there is a way i can find out if i am able to hook up something external, i.e. video game system to the desktop, and use my monitor as a screen. :)

sovietspark

Re: A/V on desktop
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 04:14:00 PM »
Do you know whether they are input or output?

If its input, then you'll be able to play video games.

If its output, then you'll be able to put your computer screen on the TV.

I'm guessing this is through some sort of TV Tuner or graphics card, so then its most likely input. Its also unlikely that its output, because they tend to use S-Video for that. You probably should have some sort of software that came with your computer or if you bought the tuner/gfx card seperately that came with that. You should be able to use that program to play your console system using the A/V.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 04:14:52 PM »
What brand of computer is this?

Are your certain that they are not Digital Out for your soundcard?

Kyle

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 04:18:10 PM »
haha, I think I know stuff about computers, but I don't understand half of what you just said...lol

I sort-of "inherited" the computer a few months ago.  A good friend came over and formatted the HD and installed ME (originally 98).  I have no original discs, or anything that came with the computer.

The A/V  connection place is right above the DVD/CD-ROM combo drive.

Is there anyway I can test to see if it is input or output?

Kyle

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 04:20:23 PM »
What brand of computer is this?

Are your certain that they are not Digital Out for your soundcard?

Please see above post...

1. Compaq
2. I have no clue (anyway I can find out?)

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 04:20:32 PM »
Is it a 5.1/2" bracket with a volume switch? Does it have any brands, serial numbers or product numbers on it?

From inside the case, where does this piece of hardware lead to?

sovietspark

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 04:21:17 PM »
I'm willing to bet its input. Normally there's software that comes with connections like that. When your friend reformatted your computer, did he install all the software that it originally came with or give you the CDs themselves?

Can you give us any pictures?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 04:22:00 PM by sovietspark »

Kyle

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 04:23:40 PM »
Is it a 5.1/2" bracket with a volume switch? Does it have any brands, serial numbers or product numbers on it?

From inside the case, where does this piece of hardware lead to?

No volume switch that I am aware of. As for brands, ect., I am not seeing any. I am not sure if i can easily get to it to check, but i can try to see what It leads to, if that is necessary.  Can't I just hook up a TV or something for input to test?

Kyle

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 04:25:50 PM »
I'm willing to bet its input. Normally there's software that comes with connections like that. When your friend reformatted your computer, did he install all the software that it originally came with or give you the CDs themselves?

Can you give us any pictures?

I never recieved any discs with it originally.  Pictures coming in like 10 minutes..lol

sovietspark

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 04:27:57 PM »
With input, you need software. With output, your computer should be able to see your TV as another monitor, but thats with an S-Video cable.

I'll wait on the pictures. ;)

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 04:30:34 PM »

No volume switch that I am aware of. As for brands, ect., I am not seeing any. I am not sure if i can easily get to it to check, but i can try to see what It leads to, if that is necessary.  Can't I just hook up a TV or something for input to test?

You shouldn't be sticking things into other things when you aren't absolutely, positively sure what they do.  ;D

If you have no documentation nor drivers that belong to this system, you should either upload a photograph and link us to it on this forum or you should check to see where the device leads to inside the case. Do not touch anything whilst inside the case.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 04:31:00 PM by Raptor »

sovietspark

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 04:33:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure its Yellow - Video, White - Right Channel, Red - Left Channel, because thats how console systems go, and my stereo systems use red as right and white as left.

Kyle

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 04:35:44 PM »
It is hard to explain (pictures next post)  there is a thick white cable coming from where the ports are on the inside....it leads to some place that i can't see or get to w/o taking more apart...i am willing to, however....

there is no place for S-video anywhere...so maybe its input...

tell me if there are other places you would like photos...

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 04:36:02 PM »
To spread more doubt;

I believe that both Digital video and Digital audio make use of the same colours. The Trust 514DX soundcard comes with an optional cable so that I can use it for DVD players. They are colour coded white and red. And perhaps even yellow.

sovietspark

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 04:39:34 PM »
Yellow is video in, trust me. Google Image the Trust 514DX, you'll see it doesn't have yellow. It has orange, but thats an 1/8th inch jack.

Of course its going to have red and white, because those are still audio.

Kyle

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 04:40:41 PM »

sovietspark

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 04:42:16 PM »
That's definitely A/V in, you can use your gaming console with that. You should have software.

Kyle

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2005, 04:43:38 PM »
I have no software, or discs for that matter....any other solutions?

sovietspark

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2005, 04:46:40 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what kind of software you need (I'm not too good with software)...

Do you know the specific model/make of the computer?
Do you have any of the original manuals?
Ask whoever you got it from about it, whether s/he has any other CDs that came with the computer.

Raptor

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2005, 04:47:02 PM »
I have never seen that before.

You should be able to obtain drivers from the manufacturers website.

Kyle

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2005, 04:47:57 PM »
More Story:

This was a relative's...

It would no longer start up w/o being in safe mode...

offered it to me to fix and then keep...

friend, Mike,  formatted, ect....

Here I am wondering about this.

The only thing i have is the driver disc for the new modem in purchased and installed last week.

Kyle

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2005, 04:50:52 PM »
I'm not entirely sure what kind of software you need (I'm not too good with software)...

Do you know the specific model/make of the computer?
Do you have any of the original manuals?
Ask whoever you got it from about it, whether s/he has any other CDs that came with the computer.

It is a Compaq Presario 4862
No manuals (only got tower and monitor)
okay, I will do that...

Is it just possible to hook my ps2 or Gamecube up to it, and see what will happen?  would windows ME have any drivers??

sovietspark

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2005, 04:50:58 PM »
Give me a little bit. I'll google about it and check the manufacturer. How old is the computer? And can you give me a case shot or two just so I know what the whole thing looks like?

Kyle

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 04:52:37 PM »
Give me a little bit. I'll google about it and check the manufacturer. How old is the computer? And can you give me a case shot or two just so I know what the whole thing looks like?

That would be wonderful... ;D

Sure....just a few mins on the pics....

sovietspark

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2005, 04:53:19 PM »
You can always give that a shot, although WinME isn't very good with recognizing anything like WinXP is.

Raptor

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2005, 04:53:31 PM »
Windows ME is severly outdated. It will most likely not detect anything that you connect to it.

You should install Windows XP on the computer if you intend on making the most out of the Multimedia functions it has.

Kyle

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2005, 04:57:04 PM »
Windows ME is severly outdated. It will most likely not detect anything that you connect to it.

You should install Windows XP on the computer if you intend on making the most out of the Multimedia functions it has.

I would LOVE to update it, but with a tiny HD and 64 MB or ram, and a slower than a turtle processor...I dont think it would work.  I will build my own sometime soon..

I have to be thankful for this, however, as it was free

sovietspark

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2005, 04:58:49 PM »
I believe his computer was originally intended for Win95. Maybe Win98. XP isn't a good idea.

sovietspark

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2005, 05:01:14 PM »
Thats not any help merlin  :P

The only software Compaq has for you computer is a keyboard easy access fix. Everything else is for Win98 and Win95 and are driver updates for the Graphics Card and Audio.

Kyle

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2005, 05:02:57 PM »

Kyle

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2005, 05:04:35 PM »
I believe his computer was originally intended for Win95. Maybe Win98. XP isn't a good idea.

Ha, being w/o a job...ill take what I can get...

it was 98 originally.  You can see the Pent. 2 sticker, if you look close...(maybe)

Kyle

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2005, 05:07:23 PM »
so now what can I do?    ???  It would be nice to get this to work... It would save a lot of hassle....

Kyle Bacon

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2005, 05:08:53 PM »
Think there is any freeware or shareware that might be avail. ?  

sovietspark

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2005, 05:09:00 PM »
Oh, you can get it to work, no doubt, I'm just trying to think of what software you can use! lol

Kyle

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2005, 05:13:31 PM »
huh?  ???

sovietspark

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2005, 05:16:03 PM »
Something like Adobe Premier Elements is probably what you need. I just don't know what to call it when I google search it for the freeware...

Kyle

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2005, 05:19:43 PM »
okay...well, ill look and see if i can find something on google too...

Kyle

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2005, 05:23:18 PM »
is this of any help???

ftp://http://www.adobe.com/motion/main.html

Kyle

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2005, 05:31:22 PM »
I just hooked up the PS2 to the computer...

no luck automatically recognizing it...

merlin_2

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2005, 05:59:24 PM »
 A dvd drive>>>. to a dvd drive well......  ???