Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Crash on Startup problem  (Read 2765 times)

Mickjones38

Topic Starter

Crash on Startup problem
    « on: June 01, 2010, 11:54:54 AM »
    When I start my desk Top PC with XP(pro), it crashes before the "WINOWS XP" screen comes up and the PC restarts

This cycle continues until I switch off at the 13A socket
    If I do not remove the plug and restart the "crashing cycle" recommences
    If I remove the 13A Plug from the socket, and restart it gets to the point where you can select "START WINDOWS NORMALLY"
    and this works ---SOMETIMES--- If it doesnt I have just restart after unplugging the13a plug.
    But now things have got worse and on two occasions I have had "blue screens" which suggest Memory, or Display problems
    I have discovered "conflicts" described below but I dont know how to correct them

CONTROL PANEL/ DISPLAY-----
    DISPLAY PROPERTIES/ SETTINGS cick on advanced/---
    (DEFAULT MONITOR) AND PROPERTIES---click on ADAPTOR TAB---click on PROPERTIES---
    VGA SAVE click on RESOURCES

Resource Settings
    I/O Range 03B0 - 03BB
    I/O Range 03C0 - 03DF
    Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF
    I/O Range 01E-01CF
    I/O Range 02E8-02EF

Conflicting device list
    Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by:
      VIA CPU to AGP2.0/AGP3.0 Controller
    Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by:
    Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF used by:
    Perhaps reformat might be the best option, but that seems like admitting defeat

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Crash on Startup problem
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:39:30 PM »
    You are correct.  Something is wrong with the Graphics Controller and/or its drivers.  Reinstall them.

Mickjones38

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »
      Thanks for your reply.
      I tried to reinstall the drivers from the cd but could not do it.
      To be honest I have done so much I can't remember it all, but I've had a multitude of "Blue screens" and eventually re-formated the hard drive, which wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, only to find the same "conflicts", and now, when the PC starts it gets as far as the windows screen and then the screen goes black. I HAVE MANAGED TO GET Started in "Safe Mode With Networking" and I have downloaded service pack3, but now cant get updates from the Ms Update site
      Looks to me like a replacement Video card is required, together with some luck
      Anyway, thanks again for your help--- It would be nice to talk, if you send me your number I'd like to give you a ring when my VOIP phone is working 

pcs365_2

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 03:01:27 AM »
        Hi,
        Try to repair your machine by following the steps given in the below link:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

Make sure you put the same version of Windows xp CD as you had installed it.
        PCS365.2
        Bangalore.