Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: directix  (Read 6375 times)

aiko

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    directix
    « on: May 30, 2010, 12:34:09 PM »
    i need some help with a driver.
    i want too play a game but it gives me a error
    "to play this game you have to make that you have Directix 9c"
    i have directix 9 10 and 11 but it still doesn't work is there somebody that can help me out...

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: directix
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 05:48:56 PM »
    Well DirectX 9.0c is the latest offical release for Windows XP.

DirectX 10 is for Windows Vista, Win7 and above.
    DirectX 11 arrives with Windows 7 and latest graphic cards.

There is a hacked version of DirectX 10 for WinXP, as people got fed up with Microsoft saying it's only for Vista crap. Also games like Halo for Vista only have been hacked to work on WinXP. Crysis has been patched for DirectX 10 on WinXP, etc and runs faster than Vista, lol. If you are using these versions or a dummy fake version, it might however cause issues with some games.

Run the DirectX End-User Runtime released from Microsoft for DirectX 9.0c.

Some games might have their own DirectX files, having their own DirectX installer found on the CD. You could also attempt to install that to see if it resolves the problem.

Make sure your graphic card and sound card are supported with DirectX 9+.
    Aaron's Game Zone
    The best free online flash games: http://azzaboi.weebly.com

Play Games - Play free games at Play Games Arcade

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »
    There is a hacked version of DirectX 10 for WinXP

No there isn't.

<snip irrelevant essay>

i need some help with a driver.
    i want too play a game but it gives me a error
    "to play this game you have to make that you have Directix 9c"
    i have directix 9 10 and 11 but it still doesn't work is there somebody that can help me out...

DX 9.0c:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

Also if you believe you have installed DX10 and 11 in XP you should probably do a malware scan. Some of them just sorta copy a few files and change the version string in the registry, and some of them install a DX9 Wrapper for DX10 (which makes it seem like you have dx10) but most of them are just thinly disguised malware.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 11:06:16 PM »
    BC Programmer - DirectX 10 was actually released for WinXP, it started out from warez/hacking and became quite popular that Gaming enthusiasts released their own versions. People hated to be forced to update to Vista, and it's was the only think missing.

Falling Leaf Systems, who developed Halo, was forced to release it for Vista only, when they said it's Bullsh*t and could work on previous systems like WinXP. Some of the developers went against Microsoft's monoploy and released patched version for WinXP. "No longer will you have to upgrade your OS and video card(s) to play the latest games," revealed Cody Brocious, Lead Engineer on the Alky Project.

Currently, the download is available via Falling Leaf Systems, weighing in at 824 KB and contains written instructions on how to install the files.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/DirectX-10-Available-Outside-of-Windows-Vista-53066.shtml
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programming/Components-Libraries/Alky-DirectX-Compatibility-Libraries.shtml
    http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/

DirectX 10 runs faster on WinXP too, giving basically the same effects. Falling Leaf Systems was unfortunately shutdown, but their drivers live on.
    I was suggesting just checking to make sure you haven't got a fake version by mistake like BC said, and there is no DirectX 11 for WinXP yet.
    Aaron's Game Zone

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:57:37 PM »
    There is no DirectX10 for XP.

There are torrents that claim to have DX10, but half of them are just a few Vista DirectX DLLs zipped up. Instructions say something like "copy to your windows folder, now u have directx10 and your games run faster"

I even found one that claimed to allow you to play, say, Crysis and Ultra High (which usually required DX10) and, when you ran DXdiag after installation, it said DirectX 10.1, so there is NO way its fake, right?

Except the installed DirectX version is simply retrieved from the registry. None of the files listed in the DXDiag "files" tab are actually DX10 files. All most of them do is copy a few files and change the listed version string in the registry. That's it. the DLLs are never actually used- they may as well be empty. In some cases I bet they are.(more likely they were simply scoffed from a Vista install or something)

Even the Best case scenario is that these "directX 10 on XP" things are simply DirectX9 Wrappers so that programs can use Directx9 as if it was directX10.

of course this results in the fact that using "DX10" features of a program are markedly slower(because they are all being translated to DX9) and still look the same. That is, the only thing that changes is what the program (and apparently the user as well) thinks they are using. DX9 is still doing the rendering, because there simply is no DX10 for XP.

Think about it. DX9 is a good ~100MB. and yet, getting DX10 is only around 800K? no chance.

The best case scenario is installing a DX10->DX9 wrapper, which is exactly what you have linked. It doesn't add any DirectX10 functionality- it just wraps all DX10 calls into the best equivalent DX9 calls.

This also means that no matter what, it will be slower then the equivalent DX9 calls done by the game, since the game is interfacing with what it thinks is DirectX10, which in turn uses Nucleus.dll to delegate functionality to either DX9 or attempt to emulate DX10 functionality.

Because any DX10-specific features are either emulated in software (nucleus.dll) or simply ignored, it's hard to believe any claim that it works "just as well as it does on Vista/7" because that simply is not the case.

Also: don't try to debate wether it's a wrapper. a simple dumpbin /imports on any of the dll's or a dumpbin /exports on nucleus.dll reveals this to be the case quite clearly.

Falling Leaf Systems, who developed Halo

Halo was developed by Bungie.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Azzaboi

Apprentice
    • Aaron's Game Zone
      • Aaron's Game Zone
    « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:45:52 PM »
    Falling Leaf Systems

On the heels of the merger also comes the announcement of Falling Leaf Systems’ intention to provide compatibility software to allow Windows XP users to play two upcoming, Windows Vista-only titles: Halo 2 and Shadowrun. These games are available for immediate preorder through the companies’ website. Orders will be fulfilled by Amazon.com, and those who purchase will receive a free copy of the compatibility software within a few months.

“Microsoft has, in typical Microsoft fashion, decided to launch their forced migration onslaught in full force with the release of two games that will only run on Windows Vista,” stated Thomason. “First they claim that it was impossible to implement DirectX 10 compatibility atop Windows XP, and now they also want us to believe that they couldn’t successfully launch two DirectX 9 based titles on XP either. We plan to expose both theories as patently false.”

http://www.prleap.com/pr/77567/

Falling Leaf continues to work toward providing a set of compatibility libraries which will allow DirectX 10 based games to run on operating systems and hardware for which they weren’t originally intended.

ps. I've played Halo 2 before on WinXP, works fine and compared it against Vista, graphic wise pretty much the same, FPS performance was better on WinXP...

Okay so even if it's just a wrapper then, you miss my point that the post owner might have it installed and you need to be aware there is a valid working version and a number of fake versions of it floating around.
    Aaron's Game Zone