Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Monitor (LG W2243) Flickering  (Read 5872 times)

jSherz

Computer Monitor (LG W2243) Flickering
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:47:17 AM »
I am using my LG W2243 monitor, which is connected to the VGA port of my new Laptop. When dark images are shown on the screen, very faint scrolling "lines" are seen. These lines are not seen on the Laptop screen - nor were they when the screen was plugged into my old computer this morning.

The refresh rate is 60hz.
The resolution is 1920x1080.
The colour is 32bits.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 12:42:03 PM by jSherz »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: LG W2243 Flickering
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »
Is there a driver available for the LG and if so did you install it?

jSherz

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
Yes, Windows is using the LG W2243(Analogue) driver.

Sodde

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 12:41:17 PM »
    It could be interference or noise caused by low voltage or even the wireless adaptor in the laptop.
    Try eliminating these possibilities and any other possible causes (microwaves, cordless phones etc) before looking deeper into a possible computer problem.

Try using the set up in a different area and use a different wall outlet. Do you have a wall socket tester?

Is the laptop using battery power with you have the problem with the battery?

jSherz

Re: Computer Monitor (LG W2243) Flickering
    « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 12:47:02 PM »
    Unplugging the power supply from the Laptop solves the problem.

Although, I need to have this plugged in so that I can use the laptop as my main computer.

Any tips?

Sodde

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 12:56:28 PM »
      It could still be a wall socket problem. This sort of thing can be related to bad earthing or possibly  brown-out conditions.
      try using separate outlets for the monitor and the laptop, you may be overloading a particular socket.

You may want to test the laptop power supply too.

jSherz

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »
      The power supply is plugged into an extension lead which is plugged into a wall socket.

The monitor is plugged directly into a different wall socket - although only 2-3 metres (4-5 feet) away from the wall socket which the extension lead is plugged into.

I hope that isn't confusing, I have also prepared a paint diagram:

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

Sodde

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:23:05 PM »
        unplug your extension from the wall and plug the laptop ac adaptor into the wall socket and see what happens.

jSherz

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 01:42:50 PM »
        I've worked out that it is the proximity of the power supply (including cables) to the screen. I tried plugging the power supply into an extension cable which went downstairs - but this had little to no effect.

The current power supply is just one which came with the laptop. Would a more expensive / different power supply help?

Sodde

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »
          You haven't really eliminated any of the possibilities yet.

I think you should go back and check/test the things I suggested. You've found the cause of the lines on your screen but you need to find what it the cause of the interference between the power supply and the monitor.