Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Remanufactured Cartridges - Watch for HP Updates - Ignore Them!!!  (Read 3726 times)

flyingstewart

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I have had an HP Officejet 73100 All In One printer since 2007 and have in all that time have used HP genuine print cartridges. But recently the cost is up to £80.00 to replace both colour and B&W cartridges.

So I have for the past few months  been using remanufactured ones at a total typical cost of around  £28.00 the pair, with to my eyes just as good quality.

However, one day recently my printer stopped working and small HP box presented itself on my screen saying something like "Non compatible cartridge detected, please click here to continue..."

Being in the middle of something and busy,  like a fool I did. The printer then locked completely and would not work again until I installed the very expensive HP cartridges. In fairness to my supplier they refunded the cost of my refills.

I have spent time uninstalling all the printer  software and then trying to reinstall from the original discs, but they would not, so have had to reinstall all downloaded form the HP site, and am about to try some again using the remanufactured cartridges. We shall see...

My suppliers advice is if this  box appears IGNORE IT and then press and hold down the cancel button on your printer until the message disappears.

The irony of it is I had my printer serviced recently and the engineer told me they have stopped making spares for my machine!!!

macdad-

Expert

Re: Remanufactured Cartridges - Watch for HP Updates - Ignore Them!!!
      « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:12:15 AM »
      Do you still have some of your old, empty Cartridges that are compatible with your printer?

You can possibly take them to a Cartridge Refill store, they usually are much cheaper than buying brand new(And much less of a hassle).

I have to agree with you on one thing is that HP is just like that, having to pay an arm and a leg for a new cartridge, as well as HP changing their cartridge designs all the time(They do that so you have to buy a new printer).

If you dont know DOS, you dont know Windows...

Thats why Bill Gates created the Windows NT Family.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:16:40 PM »
      I have to agree with you on one thing is that HP is just like that, having to pay an arm and a leg for a new cartridge, as well as HP changing their cartridge designs all the time(They do that so you have to buy a new printer).

It's not fair to single out HP. I cannot think of a single Printer manufacturer that doesn't do this exact same thing.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

mroilfield

Mentor
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:20:15 AM »
      If I were a printer manufacturer I would do what ever I could to have people buy my cartridges too.
      You can't fix Stupid!!!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
      If I were a printer manufacturer I would do what ever I could to have people buy my cartridges too.

well yeah, especially since they usually sell the printers at a loss and try to make up for it by selling their cartridges at ridiculous prices. It's more a product of greed then anything "well we can make more money if we do it this way" instead of just selling them both for what they are worth, they all come up with some goofy scheme whereby the item that will be purchased throughout the life of the product costs more, with some sort of starry eyed goal that they will make up for the losses and make a sizable profit as well.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.