Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Highlighting/deleting/copying problem  (Read 2284 times)

oldfartatfreo

Topic Starter

Highlighting/deleting/copying problem
    « on: June 03, 2010, 05:03:40 AM »
    Hello,

Sorry, I can't apply a specific subject to these problems. I have lumped them into one help request though because I believe that they must be all caused by the same gremlin?
    The following applies to all the problems. They only happen the very first time I attempt to do certain actions on the displayed page. When I try the same again on the same page the problem does not happen and the required result is achieved. I am running Windows XP and can find no infections on my PC. I can run AVG, Ad-Aware, Spybot and Malwarebytes one after the other and none of them find any infection.

Problem 1. If I highlight a document in a folder list and press shift/delete to delete it immediately without going through the recycle bin, that file, plus all the files below it in the list are highlighted and I am asked if I wish to delete all those files. So I click "No" and highlight the same file again and shift/delete deletes it only. If I go to a new folder, whatever, the problem will again repeat as before.

Problem 2. If I highlight some text I wish to delete and type over, when I start typing the text is not deleted and my typing commences after that text. Again, try a second time on that same page (including the same text) and the text is deleted as required. Go to a new page and the problem is repeated.

Problem 3. I might try and copy some text by highlighting it and pressing Control/C. Page starts to shimmer badly and gives the impression of scrolling continuously and very fast. Pressing "Control" a few times takes things back to normal and I can then highlight and press control/c to copy.

Problem 4. I have a spreadsheet open and wish to enter text into an empty cell. I click on the cell and start typing. The text is not entered in the cell, but at the end of whatever text is in the cell at the top of the page. Having deleted the surplus text from that cell I can then enter text in the required cell with no problem. As long as I stay in that document I can enter text in any cell I wish, but opening another spreadsheet means the same problem occurs again.

Does anyone know the answer to this?
    Regards,
    Barry

oldfartatfreo

Topic Starter

Re: Highlighting/deleting/copying problem
      « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:38:36 PM »
      Sorry all,

I firmly believed I had fully uninstalled the programs that I considered might be causing my problem, but I just found a remnant of Sophos AntiRootKit on my PC. I got rid of that and all my problems have disappeared. Sorry once again.

Barry

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Highlighting/deleting/copying problem
      « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:28:14 AM »
      Glad we could help.  ;D