Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Messed up Boot.ini  (Read 3036 times)

OmarGoodness

Topic Starter

Messed up Boot.ini
    « on: June 03, 2010, 10:14:03 AM »
    Just built a new box and wanted to move my SATA hard drives to the new box and keep my XP installation intact. Usually I do the repair installation through XP setup and have no problems, but was having trouble with that. I read somewhere that initiating a XP Upgrade on the old box and continuing it on the new box should make the process easier (not true). So I initiated the upgrade and when rebooting, turned machine off and moved hardware over to new box. Had some issues with the new box that were unrelated but was finally able to boot. Now the problem I had was I had two entries in the boot menu when booting from my C: drive. One was Windows XP Pro and the other was Windows XP Pro Setup. When I chose the setup, to try to continue the upgrade installation, it freezes. When trying to do a repair installation (not recovery console), it does not detect my previous Windows installation.

In any case, I was able to boot into XP using the fix_hdc in UBCD4win. I should have just stopped there, but I wanted to get rid of the Windows XP Setup load identifier, so I went ahead and tried to rebuild Boot.ini. That did not remove the Windows XP setup entry, but now I can't boot into XP because I keep getting the error that HAL.dll is missing or corrupt. Tried replacing HAL.dll with the dll on the disk, but was still getting that error. Did some research and the HAL.DLL error is due to a corrupt Boot.ini. So now, I need to get back to where I was, specifically, get rid of the HAL.DLL error and boot into XP. I tried rebuilding Boot.ini so many times now, I have like 8 different load identifiers and don't know how to get rid of them. HELP

CPU Specs below

EVGA p55 SLI
    Core i7 860
    4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    80GB SATA HD (Boot Disk)
    1TB SATA HD
    24x DVD\CD RW Sony Optiarc
    ATI Radeon HD 4670
    CoolerMaster Storm Scout Case

Thanks!

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Messed up Boot.ini
    « Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »
    To be honest, I'm having trouble following everything you did (not to mention WHY). But just boot to the Recovery Console and run the following two commands:

Fixmbr

and

Fixboot

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 10:18:33 AM »
    Repair Install of XP

Very early on in the setup process there will be a prompt at the bottom of the screen stating "Press F6 to install additional Drivers"...insert your MBoard Driver CD and it will extract and install the neccessary SATA Drivers...
    Continue on with the Setup and you should be good to go...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

OmarGoodness

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »
      Thanks for the response.

I tried fixmbr and fixboot and am still getting the HAL.dll error. I am using a slipstreamed XP disc that has sp3, and windows setup sees my hard drives, but it doesn't detect any current Windows installations. it takes me right to the select partition screen.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 04:04:14 PM »

tobydorji

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 10:47:23 PM »
        1.But just boot to the Recovery Console.

2.Delete the Boot.ini file.

3.Type Bootcfg/rebuild command.

4.Then enter the fix boot cmd.

5.Reboot the computer.