Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My dos game no sound fx  (Read 5512 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
My dos game no sound fx
« on: June 04, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
Ok so i installed fatal racing and i have music but there is no engine noise the sound fx are on any ideas? I'm using windows 98 and the game was made in 95 could that be the reason?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: My dos game no sound fx
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:23:52 PM »
Unlike newer games, DOS games need sound settings in order to work properly. Since these games were made, the way games handle sound has changed.

You might try running it in Dosbox.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:29:06 AM »
ok i will try that but win 98 isn't good enough?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 08:37:06 AM »
It's not that it's not good enough, but Windows 98 wasn't designed to run DOS games and not all DOS games will run properly in 98 either. While some could, there were often sound/music problems. Some would refuse to run at all (Crusader: No Remorse & Crusader: No Regret being two games I loved that lost playability in Windows 98).

The reason you're getting music and no sound effects is because the music is straight CD audio playing off the CD (according to what I've read about that game). In Windows 98, CD audio was passed through an audio cable straight to the sound card and out through the speakers. Even if a Windows 98 (or previous version of Windows or DOS) computer locked up, CD audio would still continue uninterrupted.

This is no longer the case with most newer computers, as CD audio is dealt with differently now.