Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: much older HD on a new MB.  (Read 3979 times)

freedom07

Topic Starter

Beginner

much older HD on a new MB.
    « on: June 05, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »
    http://www.superwarehouse.com/Western_Digital_Caviar_200GB_Hard_Drive/WD2000JD/p/319167

this is the older hard drive i have. used XP with it. the system it was in the CPU fried. have been told that i couldn't use it with this new motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813131654

i am looking at getting a newer hard drive. but there is a lot of data on the old one that i want to recover.

if i can not use it with the new board, then what are my options for recovering the data?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: much older HD on a new MB.
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:52:03 PM »
    You will not have any problem.
    Er...;shh, I mean you don't have to have a problem.
    You have to understand what you are doing.

Do you have another computer around to help you recover the data?
    The windows OS will have to be installed again.
    Best idea is to back a backup of all the data on the drive before you try to install the Windows XP OS.
    I mean to say that is my humble opinion about the matter.

Please do NOT try to install XP until we get some more information from you.  Do you have a Retail version of Windows XP and the COA product key?

freedom07

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:10:49 AM »
      Unfortunately i do not have another system work with.

i still have the much older XP and key.

If i use the old hard Western Digital HD i shouldn't need to re install the OS should i? I should be able to plug it into the new board and go, correct?

What other information do you need, if any?

Thanks for the assistance

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 01:06:25 AM »
      If i use the old hard Western Digital HD i shouldn't need to re install the OS should i? I should be able to plug it into the new board and go, correct?

No. Not correct. The Windows install process builds an installation for the hardware it finds at install time. If you take the hard drive and put it in another PC, it almost certainly won't work, (unless the hardware is identical) and even then Windows would probably need re activation. Follow Geek-9pm's guidance.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »

good morning,
      first of all, do not do anything until you have a plan.
      We assume that you did not make a backup copy of everything before your old motherboard died. So then your data is on your old hard drive and you want to preserve that data and also reinstall the Windows operating system.
      The possibility of doing a Greek pair install is probably less than 50% success rate. Your new motherboard is very cool and has most likely a very different chipset than your older board.
      So the plan is to figure out some way to install Windows on your old hard drive without destroying the data.
      Here is a plan. Contact somebody locally I can talk you through this and provide you some additional material you might need. You will need to have some kind of storage media. Preferably a small hard drive that can be used for a temporary installation. Windows XP can be installed even on a small 10 GB hard drive. If you can make or borrow or buy a usable 10 GB hard drive you can do the installation on that hard drive. During the installation you will not repeat not have the old drive hooked to the motherboard. He will do a complete new installation on a borrowed hard drive. After the new installation is complete and working at all the drivers have been properly installed and everything looks good, you will power down the system, slave your old Western Digital Dr. and booted back up and you should see all your data still in place. Once you get to that point you can decide what you want to do next.
      So go find a hard drive somewhere.
      And yes, it could be done on a USB stick, but that gets complicated. Just go find an old hard drive somewhere. but not repeat not a hard drive that has the only copy of your data on.
      Talk to you later bye

freedom07

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »
        want to make sure i understand. use a different hard drive to install the OS on. After i install the OS and everything is good, then i would plug in the hard drive that has the data i wish to recover?  basically the second drive would become the slave of the first one, is that correct? i may be repeating some of what you said, but i am wanting to make sure i don't misunderstand anything.

I had planned on using Windows 7 on the new system i build. Until i recover the data i want, should i use the XP OS? Then once i have recovered it change to 7?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 11:16:41 AM »
        Why not simply connect the drive to a working machine to save your data ? ?
        Geek's method is a bit of overkill...

See This...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

freedom07

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:27:15 AM »
          that was my initial thought. But when i was told by a friend that because it was a 6 year old hard drive. that it would not work with the new mother board i was going to get.  Due to the old SATA compared to SATA 4.0 now i believe it is. i didn't see how that made much of a difference but that's why I'm asking you guys, to make sure.

Would i be best to plug it into a system that used XP. or would it work just as well with 7?

i do appreciate the assistance.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
          i was told by a friend that because it was a 6 year old hard drive. that it would not work with the new mother board i was going to get.

If I had 1 euro for every false thing that people were told by a "friend", I would be rich. The drive is SATA, the board has 6 SATA 6 GB/S ports. Why should it not work? The designers of SATA aimed for backward and forward compatibility with future revisions of the SATA standard.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 01:41:17 PM »
          From the link Patio gave:
          Data Recovery Tutorial: How to Slave a Hard Drive
          April 23, 2007 by Jacqui Best 
          Filed under How To's
          This is a tutorial from Jacqui Best about the proper procedure for slaving your hard drive prior to running data recovery software on it. This would also be the procedure to follow if you were to run speed clone to sector clone a noisy drive or if you have a partition problem and need to repair or recover data from a partition or if you need to restore or undelete a file.

It is very important to not download data recovery software directly to the effected hard drive. If you don’t have a second drive or don’t have either a USB drive or USB capable data recovery software, then you must hook the drive up as a slave to run the software.
          Hard Drive Recovery Video Series – How to Slave A Hard Disk

Watch the video below to see how to slave a desktop IDE hard drive. If you have any questions post a comment at the bottom of the page. We answer all comments that are legitimate questions!

Case Study: How to “Slave” your Hard Drive

In data recovery it is NEVER a good idea to install, copy, surf the Internet, reboot the machine, or do ANYTHING on the hard drive you are now trying to recover the data from. I often tell customer they need to Slave the hard disk to another computer, or put it in a USB chassis. What is difficult is the fact that the average home user has no idea how to do this, and it can be a very daunting task.

With SATA you put the second drive in the second port. And check in the BIOS to see that it is indeed the second device and the first device  is the boot .

You  said you do not have another system you can use. So start your build with another drive, install Windows 7 and go from there. Don't put the old drive in until you are sure everything is good with your new build.

The file system is NFTS on the old drive. Windows 7 would not have any problem reading data from it.

And of course, we never plug and unplug  internal components unless the power cord is removed from the PSU.

The programs installed on the old XP system are, for the most part, not portable. That means the will not run in Windows 7 until you re install them.

There is no problem using one drive as a system drive and another as a data drive. People do it all the time. Slight increase in power consumption and heat .
          Along with slight increase in performance.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:02:13 PM »
          To over simplify things as Salmon illustrated SATA ports have been backwards compatible since Day 1...

To slave the drive hook it up to any port numbered 2 or higher...or 3.

Geek please stop making every issue more complicated than it really is...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

freedom07

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 06:30:16 PM »
            i greatly appreciate all of the assistance :) thank you. Once i get the parts i will do that.

i didn't know that the SATA connections where backwards compatible.  If i had known that would have saved me some fear about loosing everything

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 12:29:03 PM »
            i didn't know that the SATA connections where backwards compatible.  If i had known that would have saved me some fear about loosing everything

For computers, while there are some notable exceptions, usually if you can plug it in, it can work; For example, you can use a USB 1.0 device with most USB 2.0 hubs and ports, you can use a ATA-66 hard drive on a motherboard with a ATA-133 controller, and so on. Of course it's important to check first with a quick search, there are some cases where you can plug it in, but it <won't> work, and might even cause damage. (only case I can think of where something can be damaged involve proprietary power supplies)
            I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »
            BC_Programmer ,
            please stop making every issue more complicated than isn't. 8)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
            « Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »
            BC_Programmer ,
            please stop making every issue more complicated than isn't. 8)
            Actually, I commend him; he explained it very succinctly, without the use of the word "basically".