Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ethernet port dead?  (Read 2407 times)

rojerd

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    ethernet port dead?
    « on: June 07, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »
    Hi, I've been setting up the system in my sig/specs, and it functions flawlessly EXCEPT that the internet doesn't work.  The system is a hand-me-down, which originally belonged to my father, was passed to my brother, and is now in my possession.  I should note that I'm very familiar with this system, because I assembled it for both my father and my brother. 

It worked fine (internet included) four months ago (it was then decommissioned when my brother got a new PC, and sat unused until this past weekend).

I don't think it's a software problem, because the internet didn't work in Windows XP or Linux.  I've messed around in the BIOS, and reloaded the defaults, and nothing is happening.

Both XP and Linux recognize the ethernet port, and in the Device Manager XP says it's working and the drivers are loaded.  It keeps telling me that a network cable is unplugged (it isn't--and the problem is neither the cable nor the router port, because the cable works with my laptop).  Also, the POST says something about "via rhine fast ethernet controller media test failure."  Also, the ethernet port doesn't light up and blink with the cable plugged in.

I'm out of ideas, and would sincerely appreciate anyone's help or advice.

Thanks in advance!
    System: Vista SP1; AMD X2 3800+; 2GB of DDR 400 RAM; 80GB Seagate PATA IDE;  Creative SB Audigy 2ZS; + 2 ASUS VH242H LCDs

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: ethernet port dead?
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:24:54 AM »
    Cables and connectors  can be a real pain. Especially when they're all and dirty. You might want to clean out the ethernet connector with a little bit of compressed air and also physically examine it to see if any the pins are bent
    Cables do go bad and become unreliable.
    A cable tester costs more that the cable!
    You can replace both the cable and the Ethernet port for a few dollars.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=27&name=Network-Interface-Cards

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: ethernet port dead?
    « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »
    ...Both XP and Linux recognize the ethernet port, and in the Device Manager XP says it's working and the drivers are loaded.  It keeps telling me that a network cable is unplugged (it isn't--and the problem is neither the cable nor the router port, because the cable works with my laptop).  Also, the POST says something about "via rhine fast ethernet controller media test failure."  Also, the ethernet port doesn't light up and blink with the cable plugged in...
    Try reinstalling the latest "via rhine fast ethernet controller" drivers.
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp
    Make sure you choose the correct Rhine chip.