Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: network sharing freeze when change settings  (Read 3100 times)

rjn15

Topic Starter

Starter

network sharing freeze when change settings
    « on: June 07, 2010, 09:38:02 PM »
    i am trying to change the security setting for my network so i can allow internet to go from my laptop to my xbox 360 and everytime i try to change the setting to share, it freezes......anyone got any ideas what i could do to fix this?   thanks

UNSCSpartan3

Beginner

• Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: network sharing freeze when change settings
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:12:04 AM »
    Did you try rebooting?

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »
    Did you try rebooting?

What a helpful thing to say... wow where have you been all my life..

But back to the problem, can you explain the steps taken and what router you are using what speed of connection and what you use e.g cable, Broadband. What are you connecting the Xbox to the computer with? More info please... full system specs, connection cables between computers, internet connection.

More info the better. :) welcome to computer hope

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:14:01 PM »
      What a helpful thing to say... wow where have you been all my life..

Actually, that's perfectly valid feedback in most cases--a bit on the "no duh/Captain Obvious" side, but still.  It's amazing how many problems get resolved by a simple reboot. 

However, UNSCSpartan3, this isn't one of those cases, so I can see why Mulreay responded this way.

But back to the problem, can you explain the steps taken and what router you are using what speed of connection and what you use e.g cable, Broadband. What are you connecting the Xbox to the computer with? More info please... full system specs, connection cables between computers, internet connection.

More info the better. :) welcome to computer hope

This/9000. :) 

rjn15's question is pretty darn ambiguous--the only thing I can assume is that he/she wants to use Internet Connection Sharing to do one of these numbers:

1) Cable/DSL/whatever modem -> patch cable ->  Laptop's Ethernet jack -> laptop -> built-in wireless NIC -> XBox 360's wireless adapter
      or
      2) Modem ---> wireless router ---> laptop's wireless NIC -> laptop -> laptop's Ethernet jack -> CROSSOVER cable -> XBox 360's Ethernet jack

...and that his/her laptop is freezing upon these attempts.

In any case, rjn15, #1 and #2 are a waste unless you're using some kind of cellular modem (i.e.: a USB card from Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, or other cellular phone service provider).  If not, then this is just making it more difficult than it should be.  Barring the use of a cellular modem, these are what you want:

3) Modem ----> wireless router ----> XBox 360's wireless adapter
      or
      4) Modem ----> wireless router ----> one of the numbered ports on the wireless router (1, 2, 3, or 4) -> patch cable -> XBox 360's Ethernet jack

I can understand #4 not being an option if the router is nowhere near the 360.  In that case, you're going to have to go with #3 and shell out some case for a 360 wireless adapter if you don't have one already.
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

UNSCSpartan3

Beginner

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »
      Actually, that's perfectly valid feedback in most cases--a bit on the "no duh/Captain Obvious" side, but still.  It's amazing how many problems get resolved by a simple reboot. 

However, UNSCSpartan3, this isn't one of those cases, so I can see why Mulreay responded this way.

This/9000. :) 

rjn15's question is pretty darn ambiguous--the only thing I can assume is that he/she wants to use Internet Connection Sharing to do one of these numbers:

1) Cable/DSL/whatever modem -> patch cable ->  Laptop's Ethernet jack -> laptop -> built-in wireless NIC -> XBox 360's wireless adapter
      or
      2) Modem ---> wireless router ---> laptop's wireless NIC -> laptop -> laptop's Ethernet jack -> CROSSOVER cable -> XBox 360's Ethernet jack

...and that his/her laptop is freezing upon these attempts.

In any case, rjn15, #1 and #2 are a waste unless you're using some kind of cellular modem (i.e.: a USB card from Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, or other cellular phone service provider).  If not, then this is just making it more difficult than it should be.  Barring the use of a cellular modem, these are what you want:

3) Modem ----> wireless router ----> XBox 360's wireless adapter
      or
      4) Modem ----> wireless router ----> one of the numbered ports on the wireless router (1, 2, 3, or 4) -> patch cable -> XBox 360's Ethernet jack

I can understand #4 not being an option if the router is nowhere near the 360.  In that case, you're going to have to go with #3 and shell out some case for a 360 wireless adapter if you don't have one already.
      thanks for the positive