Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Looking for a program that can associate icon with file type.  (Read 3872 times)

Sington

Topic Starter

Hi,

I am looking for a tweak or utility program that will permit me to easily associate icons with particular file types. (I have no trouble associating programs with files types).The problem arises especially with media players that want to associate themselves with every type of media file.

Specifically, I use a program called '1by1' to play both .mp3 and .wav files. I want to use the 1by1 programs older version icon for .mp3 files and the newer version icon for .wav files. I have extracted both icons from 1by1.exe and managed to associate .mp3 with the old icon, but for some reason can't seem to associate the new icon with .wav files.

It is a pain to have to delve into windows Folder Options and try to get things to work as desired. It's certainly not an intuitive process. Does anyone know of a program that will do this easily?
    -  -   -   -  -  -   -   - -
    ...A few minutes later...Okay, went back and tried again to do it manually and succeeded. Yeh! But still, it would be a lot easier with a program that could easily do it for me.
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:31:41 AM by Sington »

Sington

Topic Starter

Re: Looking for a program that can associate icon with file type.
      « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:52:19 AM »
      Found:

Just in case anyone is interested, I found a nice little freeware program that does the job fairly easily also. Program is called " Default Programs Editor ". I found it at softpedia.

Also TuneUp Utilities has the feature.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:59:27 AM »
      Thanks for the info.  Default Programs Editor looks like a useful utility.  http://www.snapfiles.com/get/defprogedit.html

MendMyComputer

Rookie

• Yes
        • MendMyComputer
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:22:42 AM »
      This is something I've laways thought about looking into for so many apps to make it nice and clear when browsing folders for files, but never bothered looking at.

The program seems to do the job very well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I work at  MendMyComputer