Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MSGSRV32 problems with USB devices, USB 2.0 card  (Read 3646 times)

Lauriellen

MSGSRV32 problems with USB devices, USB 2.0 card
« on: July 18, 2005, 01:01:19 PM »
 Hi,

I've been having troubles with USB. I have a Gateway computer, 500 mhz, 128 MB RAM, running Win98 SE. I have two built-in USB ports on the back of the tower. I bought the system for $100 at a garage sale a few months ago from owners who appeared to have kept it up meticulously, and it's worked beautifully other than the USB problem.

I used one USB device (a cable modem) without problem (I've since hooked the modem up to the eternet port), but haven't been able to use anything else. I tried to install my printer, and a compact flash reader, and finally tried a new USB card, since I'd rather run 2.0 anyway.

I get a message that Windows Message Server (MSGSRV32.exe) has performed an illegal action and will shut down. When I click on Details, it says msgsrv has caused a general protection fault in Kernel 386.exe.

During the USB card installation, the error message comes right after the computer says that Windows has found new hardware and will install the drivers for it. It lists the device it's supposed to list, according to the installation manual. The device is a Stratite USB 2.0 Upgrade Card, 5 port, 480 Mbps.

I've been trying to look up information on this problem but I haven't found anything specific. I checked in the BIOS but the only mention of USB was Legacy USB support for keyboards, which was enabled. In the Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers, the items listed are Intel 82371/AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller, and USB Root Hub.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Laurie

Raptor

Re: MSGSRV32 problems with USB devices, USB 2.0 ca
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 01:06:47 PM »
1. Remove all entries related to the expansion USB card from the device manager
2. Shut down your system
3. Remove the card
4. Boot system
5. Allow Windows to load.
6. Shut down your system
7. Reinsert the card
8. Allow for redetection

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 01:13:38 PM »
How many usb devices have you got.?...you may have exceeded the bandwith?........load the drivers for the card??if this fails....go to the device manager........scroll down the list and click usb host controllers+click advanced tab and untick the disable usb error dectection.......if you have a via mobo go to there website and download the 4 in  1 drivers.......
« Last Edit: July 18, 2005, 01:14:10 PM by merlin_2 »

Lauriellen

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 01:17:09 PM »
Hi Raptor,

There are no entries in Device Manager relating to the expansion card, because the installation never gets far enough to add any entries. As soon as Windows detects the card, MSGRV32.exe reports the error message.

Laurie

merlin_2

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 01:25:40 PM »
Update the bios......

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 05:00:04 PM »
See this article first.

Lauriellen

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 11:08:43 AM »
Hi again. Thanks for the replies. At the moment, I'm not using anything USB. The only thing I used at all on this computer was the cable modem, which I've since switched to the Ethernet port. I downloaded a BIOS update from Gateway's support page, but according to the readme file, I don't need to update. I've never looked into BIOS updates, so I don't really know what I'm doing there.

I have continued to read what I can find, and one thing I found was that the Intel 82371/AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller I mentioned in my first post was prone to problems. But it seems to me that should only affect something I plug into the original USB ports, not plugging a new USB card into a PCI slot, which gives the same error message.

When I plug my new USB card in, I'm supposed to get a message that Windows has detected an NEC Open Host Controller. I don't remember if that's the message I got the first time I plugged it in, but now when I plug it in, I get what I'm supposed to get later in the process, a message that Windows has detected a PCI Universal Serial Bus. I don't know if that means anything. There is no NEC Open Host Controller in Control Panels > System > Device Manager.

I do have a computer guru friend coming to visit in a month, so this may end up going to him. ;)

Thanks again,

Laurie

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 11:33:33 AM »
Perhaps you need to install drivers for the PCI expansion card.

merlin_2