Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pc Freezes On Start Up  (Read 2447 times)

deathjoker

Topic Starter

Pc Freezes On Start Up
    « on: May 31, 2010, 10:23:55 PM »
    Hi, I'm having trouble with another Pc which is/used to be Vista Home basic x64. Last week the Pc  suddenly froze while my sister was using it and we haven't had much luck getting windows to load since then because the Pc freezes as soon as windows starts to load up. I tried to use a recovery cd on it but didn't have any luck because the pc freezes as soon as the cd begins to load up.

After that I moved the HDD from the "bad" Pc to the one I'm currently using and still didn't have much luck getting windows to run with the help of the recovery disk. So I figured that it was all lost and installed Vista ultimate x32 on the "bad" drive and everything is working just fine except that all the files found in the "Program files (x86)" are still there. Is that normal? What should I do with the programs installed in there? Such programs do not show up in the control panel for deletion, so should I just delete the folders?

Hmm, I haven't tried to transfer the HDD from the "bad" pc back to it because I was afraid that the freezing was being done by the graphics card and that it would just end up messing the HDD again. I went out, bought a new Graphics card and installed it on this pc and everything worked out just fine. So I decided that it would be safe to move back the HDD from the "bad" pc where it belonged along with the new video card....And yeah it seems like the freezing is not being caused by the graphics card after all. I think that it would  be safe to remove the new graphics and see what happens and if I make it to windows I can just delete the drivers of the new Graphics. (both Pc's came with integrated graphics cards)

Is it possible for the integrated graphics to cause the freezing even if the monitor is plugged into the new graphics card? I didn't disable the integrated card because I was told that it would automatically be shut off by the system if the monitor is attached to the new card. And I have tried to disable it via BIOS now that the new card is installed and the integrated card doesn't show up which probably means that it is off.

The only problem is that I don't know what is causing the freezing and I'm all out of ideas. The way I see it there aren't many options left, it is either the motherboard or the power supply (which I highly doubt). Is it possible for the graphics card to fry the motherboard if it's integrated and it is being overworked?

Like I said I'm all out of ideas and Open to suggestions. Any kind of help or tips will be highly appreciated, Thank you.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Pc Freezes On Start Up
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 06:32:33 AM »
    3 most common causes of freezing...in no particular order:

RAM issues...
    DLoad and run MemTest...let it run at least 2 hours. Any errors at all and you have a bad stik of RAM.

HDD issues...
    DLoad and run the drive diagnostics Free from the drive manuf. site. Run the Long test.
    This will tell you if it's the drive.

Heat...
    DLoad install and run Speedfan. Post your Temps here...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

deathjoker

Topic Starter

Re: Pc Freezes On Start Up
      « Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:01:38 PM »
      Hi Patio! Thanks for the reply. I have have been having internet problems so I haven't had much of a chance to try out your suggestions. And I'm not completely sure that I can do it. I'm just an average Pc user who has obtained little knowledge about hardware malfunctions due to having witnessed some of them myself. So, yeah my software and commands knowledge is not all that good. Anyway, are you sure that even if I managed to obtain those softwares I will be able to use them on the "bad pc" ? (keeping in mind that it freezes right on start up and that I can't even reach windows?)

And I just noticed this the other day...The integrated graphics card doesn't show up on bios at all. I have even taken out the new graphics card and try to disable the on-board one via bios but I can't find it. Think that the old card might be cause? any ideas of how to disable it now?