Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Corrupt MS Office 2003 files after some weeks  (Read 4081 times)

ajmalhussain16

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows Corrupt MS Office 2003 files after some weeks
    « on: July 01, 2010, 04:15:53 AM »
    My Dear Bros.

I have a problem with my pc that it has Corrupt MS Office 2003 files after some weeks. I have searched lot from INTERNET. But all in wine. Plz anybody help me. How can I stop this tendency and recover my corrupted files. It is also worth mentioning here that I have utilized all the recovery tool from the net.    Thanx in Advance 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Windows Corrupt MS Office 2003 files after some weeks
    « Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:56:22 AM »
    I have a problem with my pc that it has Corrupt MS Office 2003 files after some weeks. I have searched lot from INTERNET. But all in wine. Plz anybody help me. How can I stop this tendency and recover my corrupted files. It is also worth mentioning here that I have utilized all the recovery tool from the net.    Thanx in Advance 
    Do you mean Office program files or files you've created with Word, Excel, etc.?  What exactly is the problem? 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »
    Good catch Soybean...Thanx.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ajmalhussain16

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:25:25 PM »
      Do you mean Office program files or files you've created with Word, Excel, etc.?  What exactly is the problem? 
      Yes my mean MS WORD, EXCEL especially. But Powerpoint work well. However, those files in zip folder also safe from corruption.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
      You still have not clearly answered my question.  I'll re-state it.  Are you saying files you've created such as myfile.doc (a Word file) and myspreadsheet.xls (an Excel file) won't open even though Word and Excel, i.e. the Word and Excel programs, will start and display as usual on your screen?  Or, are you saying Word and Excel will not start, apparently due to corrupt program files? 

ajmalhussain16

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 12:59:52 AM »
        You still have not clearly answered my question.  I'll re-state it.  Are you saying files you've created such as myfile.doc (a Word file) and myspreadsheet.xls (an Excel file) won't open even though Word and Excel, i.e. the Word and Excel programs, will start and display as usual on your screen?  Or, are you saying Word and Excel will not start, apparently due to corrupt program files? 
        First of all I am very thankful to you for your reply. Bro my word and excel program starts and showing this message when I try to open it "Select the encoding that makes your document readable". Normally my office work well. But this message comes after some weeks even after one month. Files that I made during that period become corrupted.  Now I am attaching a file. I hope this will help you to understand.

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 06:24:06 AM »
        Looking at the file in my text/hex editor (editpad), it looks an awful lot like a renamed executable. It didn't work in my VM when I renamed the file to EXE though.

So I ran it through File Analyzer; it gives this:

Processing file  : GDB.DOC
        Large file name  : GDB.doc
        DOS File size    : 24,064/00005E00
        Created          : 04:43:02  Jul, 02 of 2010
        Processed with(1): CPShrink Archive
        Extension (    1): Microsoft Word Document File

CPSHrink is extremely old... it's pretty much what the closest match was.

For a Office 97-2003 document, the program is able to determine that it is indeed a word document. I also tested it with word 2007; the program correctly determines that the docx is really a zip file (which is is) and lists the contents.

Clearly, the attached file is not a word document; at least, not the whole thing.

Looking closer, I suspected some sort of EXE because it quite clearly says ".text", ".rdata" ".rsrc" which indicate code sections. However, it lacks any sort of MZ header (I tried running it as a COM as well but since it's >64k I doubted that would work... and it didn't, just gave a NTVDM Fault.

Curiously, there are specific entries related to registry keys:

"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" specifically.

It isn't until about halfway down the page that things look word-like (paragraph, font, etc structures)

my thoughts? Since you (the Original Poster) have mentioned that these files used to open properly, the best we can surmise is that they were changed. It looks almost as if a PDF, executable, and the original word document have somehow been mixed together. Now- I can think of two possibilities- first, and rather unlikely, is that the disk is rather unreliable and you somehow manage to keep having cross-linked files. the second, and more probable (given the information) is that you may actually be infected, or a computer that handles the document file is infected with a virus, and that virus blatantly attaches itself inside files. I'm not well versed on the Binary Doc format or it's header but it doesn't look like there is a magic number anywhere in the file at all, indicating that this may be a rather simple virus that overwrites a section of the file.
        On the other hand, it could easily be some sort of accidental file corruption or something. it's hard to say.

I think that the fact that your Word and excel documents are the only Office documents that are "corrupted" is a clue as well; many less skilled virus authors merely "infect" files with certain extensions; they may have chosen to have the virus infect DOC and XLS files but never actually tested it, so the virus merely infects doc files the same way it would exe files, which would be to inject executable code (there is, without a doubt, parts of an EXE file in there); additionally, a simple virus of this sort would not be able to look inside and modify the contents of ZIP files (zipped folders) which means, as was stated, they would not be corrupted.

On the other hand, I could be completely wrong. But that's my take on it. I'd do a complete AV and Anti-malware scan of all machines that handle this file. The fact that it corrupts "over time" indicates that the files may not be processed/stored on the computer for a while. Also, do a disk check- the cross-linked theory could well be the case.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 06:49:05 AM »
        When you create new files in Word, are they OK (not corrupted) when you save them and then open them, at least for some period of time?

Regarding the file you attached to your post, has it been passed around to different users via email or some other means?  Is it a file you originally created?  Do you use only the English language on your computer?

Do you, or does anyone else who might have used this file on a different computer, use software to convert Word files to PDF, or vice versa? 

ajmalhussain16

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 07:20:01 AM »
          When you create new files in Word, are they OK (not corrupted) when you save them and then open them, at least for some period of time?

Regarding the file you attached to your post, has it been passed around to different users via email or some other means?  Is it a file you originally created?  Do you use only the English language on your computer?

Do you, or does anyone else who might have used this file on a different computer, use software to convert Word files to PDF, or vice versa? 
          Respect Sir. I am working on this file yesterday I mean 30 Jun 2010 only on my PC and not open very next morning. Nonetheless this file is an example my all the record disturb before this date i.e 1 July 2010. Which is not in Zip Folder. I could not understand it is various attach or otherwise. Plz help I am very upset due to my huge data. Thanx

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 07:45:28 AM »
          Sorry, but I'm going to leave this up to anyone else who chooses to try to assist you.  Apparently, English is not your native language and I find your style of writing very difficult to understand.

ajmalhussain16

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
            Sorry, but I'm going to leave this up to anyone else who chooses to try to assist you.  Apparently, English is not your native language and I find your style of writing very difficult to understand.
            Off course you are right English is not my native language. However I try my best to convey my message to you. But I am very thankful to you for timely response. You are a great person.