Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Update made changes, don't know how to fix...  (Read 5297 times)

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Update made changes, don't know how to fix...
    « on: June 12, 2010, 08:09:26 AM »
    While my computer was not in use, an update from Windows must have occurred.  When I turned on the computer, all my words, icons, etc., were very little, but the picture on the desktop was full screen.  I went to settings to change the size, and when I did, now the desktop picture only stays in the middle, doesn't go to the full size of the screen.  When I go to websites I'm used to going to, some of the pages are just in the middle of the screen.  I tried to do a restore, but was told that failed.  So I picked another restore poinit and that too failed.  Can anyone help me get back to full screen on desktop picture?  Thanks in advance.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Update made changes, don't know how to fix...
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:43:08 AM »
    Do you have Windows Update set to download and install device drivers? If so, change that. You should only get drivers from the OEM web sites, not from Microsoft.

Go to the web site of your video card manufacturer and download and install the current driver for your card.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47:31 PM »
      I have a full size screen now, found where to fix that, I did download current driver for video card, however, my letters and other graphics are smaller and taller (?).  For instance, if I go to games, pick a card game, the cards are tall and slender, before they were shorter and fatter, easier to read.  I've gone to Display and changed that to everyone I can, but nothing changes it.  One of the changes I tried looks like it might be the way it was, however, when I change it, my taskbar at the bottom isn't there.  My husband said this print is giving him a headache, it's too tall and close together.  Any help will be appreciated.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 12:01:46 AM »
      I did download current driver for video card
      Did you install it?

What resolution setting are you using in Display options?
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 03:01:18 PM »
        Yes, I installed the driver.  I have tried every resolution possible and the one I am using now that seems to be about the best I could get for us to see (getting old, eyes aren't the same) is 1360 x 768.  I have  20" monitor, but if you go with what resolution the book says to use, the writing is so tiny we can't read it.  We're having trouble reading it set at 1360 x 768 - everything is so jammed up against the next letter and so tall.  Sorry, I don't know how else to explain it, as I am somewhat computer stupid, which is why I'm here.  You guys at Computer Hope have been a tremendous help to me over the years, so glad you're here.  So, have any idea what's going on?  I tried a higher dpi, but that made the letters way too big.

Mulreay

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »
        Maybe you have settings with Ease of Access just a thought.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 06:45:54 PM »
          Never heard of Ease of Access - looked, don't see it anywhere on my computer.

Mulreay

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:07:40 PM »
          You need to go into control panel and in there it will show the ease of access link.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
            No, nothing on Ease of Access is checked that has anything to do with the lettering.  Thanks for the thought!

JJ 3000

Egghead
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
            I tried to do a restore, but was told that failed.  So I picked another restore poinit and that too failed.

What did the error message say?
            Do you have Norton antivirus?
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 05:36:48 AM »
              Yes, I have Norton Antivirus - don't remember what the message said.  It said it failed, but don't remember why.  I'll try to do a restore again so I can get the message for you.  It will be later today, though.  I'll get it to you ASAP.

soybean

Genius
              • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 07:38:39 AM »
              Yes, I installed the driver.  I have tried every resolution possible and the one I am using now that seems to be about the best I could get for us to see (getting old, eyes aren't the same) is 1360 x 768.  I have  20" monitor, but if you go with what resolution the book says to use, the writing is so tiny we can't read it.  We're having trouble reading it set at 1360 x 768 - everything is so jammed up against the next letter and so tall. 

What make and model is your monitor?  You have a "book" that says 1360 x 768 is the proper resolution setting?  Is that "book" a user's manual for the monitor? 

JJ 3000

Egghead
              • Experience: Familiar
              Save a Life!
              Adopt a homeless pet.
              http://www.petfinder.com/