Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I Can't Get My Hard Drive Recognized  (Read 2242 times)

BeachGaBulldog

Topic Starter

I Can't Get My Hard Drive Recognized
    « on: June 12, 2010, 11:00:38 PM »
    I took a hard drive out of a computer that I disposed of. My aunt has a computer that I would like to take her hard drive out, and put mine in. When I try to do it, I can't ever get Windows to start up. As soon as I put hers back in, everything works fine.
    I have been all over the internet, and read stuff about the BIOS, and I don't understand why I can't get to use my hard drive.
    Its an old IDE. I need to be able to use this drive as it has important music and pics on it.

Salmon Trout

Re: I Can't Get My Hard Drive Recognized
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 03:12:12 AM »
    You can't take a bootable hard drive with Windows installed on it from one PC and put it into a different computer and run that Windows on the other computer. If you want to access your files on the drive, install it as a slave or in a USB external case.

BeachGaBulldog

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »
      The drive that I took out of my disposed computer is very important. It has lots of music files, etc. Its just sitting on my desk gathering dust. I want to be able to use this hard drive. Its an old IDE, and I have done so much research, that this whole slave/master deal is a joke. I just want to put this drive into a computer and it run. I would like to buy a new computer and add my old drive to it.
      Plus, I am a visual learner, and when all of these sites go into all of this tech stuff, they lose me.
      I just want to use my hard drive. What can I do?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 07:13:36 PM »
        BeachGaBulldog, Firstly as a GA Bulldogs fan you ought to be able to follow simple instructions unlike a GA Tech fan. Salmon Trout has told you (extremely briefly and to the point) EXACTLY what you need to do.It does not matter what you have or don't have on the HDD you MUST follow his instructions or it will NOT work. Period.truenorth