Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to load Windows 7  (Read 4300 times)

smoosh

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Experienced
    Unable to load Windows 7
    « on: June 13, 2010, 06:05:57 AM »
    I have just upgraded an old computer to windows 7 Sony Vaio vgn-c1s.  All the drivers installed ok and has been working fine.  I just restarted the computer and the screen shows the bios start up then it goes off and looks for the cd or hard drive to boot from and the screen goes blank.  When I press any of the keys ie caps key the light does not going on.  When I boot to cd the screen again goes blank no updates or anything have been installed.  I have tried to boot into safemode but again the screen just goes off?  It was running very well no issues before I have tried a few times just to wait and see if it loads but nothing.   Anyone got any ideas on this?  As I am a little confused why its no longer working and not sure what could be or to try now?

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Unable to load Windows 7
      « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:54:46 PM »
      Since the Caps Lock light is not turning on or off after POST, then it "hard-froze" before getting to the splash screen.  This could be caused by a number of things:

1) Bad RAM
      2) Failing hard drive
      3) Corrupt boot files (which could be indicative of #2 as well)
      4) Corrput bcd database
      5) Incompatible BIOS

Reboot from the Windows 7 DVD and select "Repair My Computer."  See if it finds anything wrong with the bcd database, boot sector, hard drive, etc. 

Alternatively, Google for and download Memtest 86+.  Burn the .iso to a CD-R (or CD-RW if you want), and boot from that.  If there's ANY red on the bottom of the screen, then that means there's bad RAM.  Otherwise, after a few passes, if everything checks out, then it's very likely NOT a RAM issue.

You could try flashing the BIOS, but only after trying all of the above first.  You may have to do it from a bootable CD or flash drive if your laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.   
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.

smoosh

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:18:57 AM »
        Since the Caps Lock light is not turning on or off after POST, then it "hard-froze" before getting to the splash screen.  This could be caused by a number of things:

1) Bad RAM
        2) Failing hard drive
        4) Corrput bcd database
        5) Incompatible BIOS

Reboot from the Windows 7 DVD and select "Repair My Computer."  See if it finds anything wrong with the bcd database, boot sector, hard drive, etc. 

Alternatively, Google for and download Memtest 86+.  Burn the .iso to a CD-R (or CD-RW if you want), and boot from that.  If there's ANY red on the bottom of the screen, then that means there's bad RAM.  Otherwise, after a few passes, if everything checks out, then it's very likely NOT a RAM issue.

You could try flashing the BIOS, but only after trying all of the above first.  You may have to do it from a bootable CD or flash drive if your laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.   

Hey thanks for your reply I have already tried to run the windows 7 repair but when I boot from cd the same happens the screen just goes?  I am going to try removing the RAM and see if it fixes it.  I have another hard drive I am going to see if I am able to use it or not later today.   

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 04:29:22 AM »

1) Bad RAM
        2) Failing hard drive
        4) Corrput bcd database
        5) Incompatible BIOS

And,
        6) Bad/failing power supply

smoosh

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:44:53 AM »
          Got a new hard drive and it did the same when trying to load.  I removed the 1GB memory stick and left it with 2GB and worked fine.  The old hard drive still works but now got 250GB which works just used hard drive clone to copy the hard drive and drivers.

It is all fixed ordered a 2GB memory chip to get it to 4GB RAM.  Thanks for your help with this I was lost thinking it was maybe a dead laptop.

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »
          Oh, I didn't realize it's a laptop when I posted the comment about power supply.

Anyway, glad to to hear problem resolved.   Thanks for keeping us posted.

johnjun1410

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
            I think your HDD or Ram is corupted, olz go to a repair shop
            Thnx...........

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 02:50:36 PM by Fed »
             *Link Removed*

kristain

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:37:38 AM »
              Try following method to get rid of loading problem.
              1) TAKE OUT YOUR LAPTOP BATTERY
              2) REMOVE YOUR AC ADAPTOR CORD, that's the wall power, remove it.
              3) NOW HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON FOR 30 SECONDS

That will drain any static electricity that has built up on your laptop system board and many times fixes the problem of a black screen. After the 30 seconds re-connect your laptop to the wall power and hit the power button normally and see if the laptop comes back up.

killerb255

Adviser
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 08:01:26 AM »
                I'm guessing we need something here that's similar to what Microsoft has in their social forums: a "This question has been answered" check box.
                Quote from: talontromper
                Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.