Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot Connet to Internet  (Read 2492 times)

bolumenb

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Cannot Connet to Internet
    « on: June 13, 2010, 06:03:36 PM »
    My laptop cannot connect to the internet wireless as it cannot get an IP address. It sees my wireless connection but it still shows an IP address of 0.0.0.0 and subnet mask of the same 0's.  My desktop computer is Vista 64 bit but the problem laptop is an IBM T42 runinning Windows XP. Any one has any ideas that I can try to get an IP address and be able to run the laptop wireless?

Thanks

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Cannot Connet to Internet
      « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:44:09 PM »
      Does your wireless connection have security set up on it?  For example, if using WEP (56-bit or 128-bit), you have to enter a bunch of numbers or letters (0-9 or A-F)--10 for 56-bit or a lot more for 128-bit.  If you don't do it correctly, XP may say that it's connected, but you won't ever get a proper IP address. 

Having said that, if you're using WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK (please say you're using one of these instead of WEP, as WEP is only minimally secure), again, you'll need a password (no character limit that I know of, just remember what you made the password--or check in your wireless access point or wireless router). 

tl;dr version: Incorrect password.  Try typing it in again...
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.