Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Linux computer build.  (Read 3645 times)

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Linux computer build.
    « on: July 05, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
    I am looking to build a Linux computer. I need to know what video card to use. I have an EVGA 8400 card that I have tried to use and have had problems with it on Linux. It works fine with Windows. I loaded the drivers that Linux Mint offered and they didn't work very good. Playing a DVD it would hang and stutter. It worked fine with the on board video. Then I tried to play Super Gamer. I was told by on disk that it wouldn't play because I needed a better video card. It wouldn't even load or install. It is a live DVD. Then the other thing is the mother board. I planed to use a DG31GL but I don't know if that will work well with Linux. I have it setting on a shelf as a back up for the wife's computer. What would be the best motherboard to use? I plan to use two gigs of ram and a dual core CPU from Intel. Any input on this build would be of help. I know that Linux Mint will run on old stuff, I just want to know what it will do using equipment that is new. Thank you much for your time.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Linux computer build.
    « Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:09 AM »
    I believe the DG31GL should work.  This info may be helpful: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg31gl/sb/CS-029514.htm

If Mint does not work well with it, I suggest you try Ubuntu.

I Shooter

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Re: Linux computer build.
      « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »
      I saw that on Intel's site. It just didn't list Mint. I was just wanting to know if any one had first hand information on witch mother board to use from Intel. As I said in the first post the video card is the big deal. I don't know what to use. The one I have will not work with Linux Mint with the drivers they give.