Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The Sims 3 CPU speed  (Read 6672 times)

nyla

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

The Sims 3 CPU speed
    « on: February 17, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »
    Hey folks,

I've just bought the Sims 3 and was told by the cashier to use the 'can i run it' website to check whether the game's compatible with my laptop.

I passed everythin except for the cpu speed and i realise there's nothing much i can do abt that so my question is can i still play the game on my laptop?

I have an HP pavilion dv6000, windows vista.

CPU Speed 
    Minimum: (XP) 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent; (Vista/7) 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent [If built-in graphics chipsets then 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent.] 
    You Have: 803.00 MHz FAIL

Minimum    CPU 
    Minimum: (XP) 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent; (Vista/7) 2.4 GHz P4 processor or equivalent [If built-in graphics chipsets then 2.6 GHz Pentium D CPU, or 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, or equivalent.] 
    You Have: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58 
       PASS 

RAM 
    Minimum: (XP) 1 GB RAM; (Vista/7) 1.5 GB RAM [If built-in graphics then add 0.5 GB additional RAM] 
    You Have: 2.0 GB 
       PASS 

OS 
    Minimum: Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or Windows Vista (Service Pack 1) or Windows 7 
    You Have: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 32-bit 
       PASS 

Video Card 
    Minimum: 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 or above / ATI Radeon 9500 or above / Intel GMA 3-series or above) 
    You Have: GeForce 8400M GS 
       PASS 
    Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card 
      Required  You Have 
      Video RAM  128 MB  880.0 MB 
      3D  Yes  Yes 
      Pixel Shader version  2.0  4.0 

Free Disk Space 
    Minimum: 6.1 GB of hard drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content and saved games. 
    You Have: 127.9 GB

t_blake07

Apprentice
      Re: The Sims 3 CPU speed
      « Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:47:12 PM »
      I don't see why it's showing 803MHz.

Your CPU is a dual core @ 1.9GHz. (1900MHz on each core)

Just out of curiosity, download, install, and run this...

http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpuz/cpuz_153_setup.exe

Tell us what it shows for your CPU. Look at the "Core Speed".

nyla

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 04:07:51 AM »
        I ran the program and it came up with the same thing, 803.6Mz

Any chance i can still get away with runnin the game?

t_blake07

Apprentice
          « Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:21 PM »
          I guess i'm confused. Because the "Can I run it" tool shows your exact CPU, and then says that it's only 803.6MHz. Thats not even half of one core's speed. Maybe there's a problem with your motherboard and/or RAM thats causing your CPU to show only 803MHz. The amount of RAM is good, but I don't know if it's compatible with your motherboard and CPU.

Use the CPU ID tool to tell us what it says about your motherboard, and look at the "Speed" tab and tell us what it says about your RAM.

Have you bought the game already? If so, have you opened it?

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
          The thing with laptop gaming is the CPU is more likely to be thermal throttled, and run at a reduced speed to save battery power, therefore extending the time between charges. So the CPU is either overheating, or the laptop is running on a 'low power' mode.

The low power mode option is a lot more likely. Are you running the laptop off battery? What power profile are you using when plugged in?

nyla

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:28:04 AM »
            Hey, I was on low power as at that point I needed a new batterybut i've bought a new battery and changed

it to hp settings and I've passed the canirunit test. thanks very much for the tip.

mroilfield

Mentor
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 09:36:45 AM »
            I personally would never do any gaming with out my laptop plugged in and on a well ventilated surface. As Kurtiskain pointed out most laptops run on reduced setting when on battery power unless you go in and change the settings your self. Also if you add in the strain on the battery and heat generated when gaming it is just good practice to have it plugged in and ventilated.
            You can't fix Stupid!!!

2x3i5x

Expert
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 10:52:58 AM »
            maybe you want to get a laptop cooler to keep it chilled while u play.