Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer freezes in regular mode but not safe mode  (Read 4072 times)

negeha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

computer freezes in regular mode but not safe mode
    « on: June 18, 2010, 10:19:39 AM »
    I am running vista 64bit after my son in law tried to install a game on my computer it started locking up. I can boot into reg mode and everything is fine for about three minutes, but then it locks up and nothing works except the mouse pointer moves but you can't click on anything or type. When I boot into safe mode with networking everything seems fine, I can get on the internet and do anything you can normally do in safe mode.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: computer freezes in regular mode but not safe mode
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:43:13 PM »
    Have you tried a system restore yet?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 06:19:38 AM »
    If it runs properly in safe mode this would indicate a Driver issue...
    Check Device Manager for any Yellow !!'s...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

negeha

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:43:47 AM »
      I've tried system restore and all of my drivers seem to be fine,(no yellow) Left the computer run for awhile and when I went back everything was fine. Been running ever since until this morning when it did the same thing, again I left it and now it seems to be fine again. Can't figure out what's going on.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 06:55:37 AM »
      I agree with patio that it's likely a software issue, of which drivers is one possibility. But since it's not a driver let's see if it's some other process. Open msconfig and choose "selective startup" (disable everything) and reboot. If the issue recurs then it's not software. But if it does not recur, start adding items back one at a time, rebooting after each, until the problem does reappear and you'll have identified the culprit.