Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: several small specific problems  (Read 2565 times)

wizard0ne0

Topic Starter

Rookie
    several small specific problems
    « on: June 18, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »
    my computer stats
    ACPI multiprocessor PC
    windows xp service pack 3
    2 300 gb sata hard drives in Raid 0 as well as a 40 gb ide drive that is my primary
    2 intel xeon processors running at 2.4 ghz(hypertreaded),
    2 gb of Rambus type RAM,
    geforce 7600 graphics card,
    D-link airplus DWL-G520 Wireless card,
    creative sound-blaster PCI 512
    3 different dvd rom drives a lite-on, a Toshiba, and a TSSTcorp

1.  this is an old system but seems to be fairly capable once up and running, however I seem to be unable to run certain programs without enormous lag....programs that I have run on inferior machines without trouble, specifically, google earth, and google skethup. 

2.  I have also been unable to find the quick-boot option under the BIOS. 

3.  For some reason when running facebook applications one of the 4 graphs in my task manager suddenly spikes to nearly 100%.....erratically.   the other 3 seem to stay around 20%.  only when running the facebook apps, otherwise I average about 3% on all bars. 

4.  I seem to be slowly losing wireless signal strength(it has steadily decreased over the past few months)  do you think this is a problem with the router or my card? 

hope someone out there with a little more experience than I can help me sort out these problems.  oh and I defrag regularly(once a week) and delete off unused programs as well(once a month).   

Salmon Trout

Re: several small specific problems
    « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 03:21:21 AM »
    As you say, this is an old machine. The RAM (Rambus!) and memory controller must be pretty old-skool by today's standards. Google Earth in particular is a cpu power and resources hog.