Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting an Active Partition... on Drive #2  (Read 3163 times)

Whassap

Setting an Active Partition... on Drive #2
« on: July 20, 2005, 01:54:57 AM »
I recently bought a hard drive from a garage sale.  Just 3 gigs, im using it on my only 6x86.  The drive was all crapped up, so I went into delpart deleted the 3 partitions that were on it.  I went into fdisk, and created a new partition.  I unplugged my other hard drive, and changed rthe 3 GIG one to master, but when it booted, I got, Press Any Key To Reboot, even when a boot disk was in.  I finally realized that i needed to set the partition I just made to active, so I plugged my other hard drive back in, went into FDISK, and attempted to make it active, but it said only partitions on drive 1 can be set to active.  How can I make it work?!  Boot disks dont work for some reason, and I cant make it active if its on drive 2... :( any ideas?!

Thanks in Advance
Jamie

Computer_Commando

Re: Setting an Active Partition... on Drive #2
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 11:30:18 AM »
Only 1 partition can be "active" at one time in one computer, whether 1 hard drive or 2 hard drives.

Whassap

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 12:42:02 PM »
I want to change the 3 gig drive to my master drive, it will be the only drive in my machine.  When I plug it in by itself tho, the machine refuses to boot, even when i put a boot disk in.  I never get the chance to set it to an active partition unless i have both hard drives plugged in.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 02:44:41 PM »
Ok you could do this disconnect the slave cdrom drive ....or switch the master jumper to save......attach the 3 gig....and format it  the pc will see it as d.....drive>>.....win98 will take approx 768 mb.....or if it storage i would invest in a bigger drive.....

Footnote: if you are using winxp.......use the disk management.../control~ panel~admin~tools.....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 02:46:51 PM by merlin_2 »

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 02:51:52 PM »
    You need to set your bios to boot to whatever disk your putting in first.
    A: or cdrom.

Whassap

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 03:14:10 PM »
    I set the 3 gig to master, and plopped in a Windows 98 boot disk I downloaded.  I set Boot Drive to A, but when it was starting up I noticed my 5 1/2" Floppy's light was going on.  Went into BIOS turned Swap Floppy on, and the boot disk kicked in.  Lame swap floppy... started this whole mess.  Drive is up and running, installing 98SE as we speak.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 03:20:07 PM »
    Good.. ;)....i would skin the drive......dump the junk to gain more space.....like 3.1mb of themes.....if you wish you could go into the control panel add/remove.....click windows setup.....and see if you need any of the programs listed in there!

Whassap

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 04:14:54 PM »
    Ah okay will do :) thanks for all the help ;)

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 04:17:30 PM »
    No problems>>  we are happy to help. :).....thanks for the feed back....