Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Monitors  (Read 2633 times)

TRb

Topic Starter

Starter

External Monitors
    « on: June 19, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
    I recently upgraded to Win7, and since this worked beforehand I figured it was the culprit, even though I am certain it is a BIOS issue.

But: I have a laptop that I want to go to an external monitor. The VGA cable works, and the monitor is set to receive it. I press fn+f5 (which is the combination for the laptop) and my screen goes black temporarily, then it jumps back to being on my laptop screen.

It never even goes to the monitor. I have tried this with different screens and VGA cables... any help as to what it could be?

Thanks,
    Tyler

talontromper

Hopeful
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: External Monitors
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:00:11 AM »
    Have you tried the WIN key plus the letter p? Or going to screen resolution and extending the desktop to the external monitors?

P.S. Welcome to Computer Hope
    "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:29:02 AM »
    Or going to screen resolution and extending the desktop to the external monitors?

Yep, this needs to be the first step.

TRb

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
      So I tried that, and the computer refused to recognize there was two monitors, despite my clicking of "detect"

Any other possibilities that you can think of?

talontromper

Hopeful
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:04:22 PM »
      is the screen resolution set too high/too low for the monitor your trying to extend video to?
      "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

TRb

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
        My laptop isn't even recognizing that there is a second monitor. So it isn't giving me the option to extend it. Even so, I lowered the resolution and that doesn't seem to help at all...