Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I name my modem?  (Read 3653 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Can I name my modem?
    « on: June 07, 2010, 08:30:39 PM »
    Hello and thank you for looking at my question.

I have recently upgraded my modem to a Dlink, DVA-G3670B.

Does anyone know if I can actually name my modem instead of having the generic title displayed?

My other dlink modem was quite easy to rename, but this one is a little more complex.

I have searched through the menu from the website, the documents in the users guide and in the administration, setup and configurations area, but just haven't found the answer to my question anywhere yet.

Can someone guide me on this please?

Thank you ImnoGuru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can I name my modem?
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:47:59 PM »
    Did you mean you want to rename the Station Identification?
    So then, other people in your neighbor d would  see
    ImnoGuru
    Instead of
    D-Link
    When they  scan for wireless hot spots.

UNSCSpartan3

Beginner

• Yes
    « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:46:27 AM »
    Did you mean you want to rename the Station Identification?
    So then, other people in your neighbor d would  see
    ImnoGuru
    Instead of
    D-Link
    When they  scan for wireless hot spots.

Look for the SSID box and you should be able to imput the name you want it to be

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:27:39 AM »
      Yes Geek-9pm, thats what I did to my other modem. Really so I could tell if I was logging on to my own modem actually.( but so that others will see my modem name too).

UNSCSpartan3 yep thats what I want to find SSID. I looked through the user manual but there is no mention of it there ( eg how to rename the SSID).
      Maybe I have to look a lot deeper at it then.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      « Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:29:33 AM »
      The DVA-G3670B is a modem/router combo, according to http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=817.  Doesn't your ISP provide a modem?  If so, why did you buy a modem?  Why not just buy a router to use with the modem provided by your ISP? 

UNSCSpartan3

Beginner

• Yes
      « Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 12:44:14 PM »
      did you go to the configeration page for the isp's modem??? or is it your modem that you are trying to rename the ssid for?

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 04:18:17 PM »
      I think ImnoGuru simply wants to be able to change the WAP ID name (the SSID thing).

@ImnoGuru, you may want to check out the user manual for your device. Hopefully it answers your question.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 03:58:19 AM »
        Hi and thanks for the replies.
        I just got back from my trip to Neptune. I'm sorry I haven't had the opportunity to get back to my responses to my question.

I just had a quick look.

Yes 2x3i5x, that's what I want to do.  ;)

I want to name it "ImnoGuru's Modem" instead of  DVA-G3670B.
        And for the other part of your reply, I have downloaded the user manual but I just dont know what it is I'm looking for?
        SSID may mean something but to me it means SSID.  :) Thats because ImnoGuru.... hehehe. (sorry us old buggers gotta have a laugh once in a while.)

Thanks soybean, for the input too.
        The DVA-G3670B is a modem/router combo, according to http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=817.
        Doesn't your ISP provide a modem?  If so, why did you buy a modem? 
        Why not just buy a router to use with the modem provided by your ISP? 

See, thats the sort of thinking and questions you might ask. Yes my ISP does and did provide a modem. Then I upgraded my account so that I can use the internet for phone calls via V.O.I.P. (Much cheaper for my calls). I used, http://bc.whirlpool.net.au to upgrade my account to a better plan.  ;D

So I bought a new modem/router? (the DVA xxxx) because it has 4 ports for cable connections and wireless connections for my laptops. Plus it has 2 phone line outputs for the V.O.I.P. , also it was cheaper buying it outside of the ISP company and their modem was not as good as this one.
        I paid an extra $26.00 above what the ISP wanted for their crappy 1 cable V.O.I.P. and not wireless, for this one, and got all these other features added in. Cable connections X 4, wireless and V.O.I.P.

Lots of reading for me and the manual then. Thanks again. I'm looking for the SSID then and it should be in the configuration area of the manual.

Thanks heaps everyone. ImnoGuru.