Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No video dislay on three different motherboards  (Read 2718 times)

oxymoron_02

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    No video dislay on three different motherboards
    « on: June 22, 2010, 02:34:23 PM »
    A real doozy here for the boffins of CHF. First a small introduction, I work in a national electronics company, let's just call it maplans (although i've had customers call it that anyway) for now to avoid getting myself fired. As some of you may know, generally speaking at 'maplans' we know our tech, only very rarely does one of our guys let down the reputation.
    Of the team in the local branch I am the chief computer guy, the one the others come to if they have a computer problem they're not sure of. I'm self-taught over a period of 10+ years, and am pretty well-versed on the majority of computer related issues.

So here's what had me stumped, aswell as my customer today, and his brother (a Microsoft employee). He purchased a motherboard bundle, the Phenom 630 on an ECS board with 2GB 800MHz memory. Upon discovering he had no video output, the customer returned it and exchanged for another, exactly the same. Same problem.
    It was at this point after speaking to the customer on the phone that I volunteered to have a look at the system if he were to bring it in (and herein lies the reason behind my keeping some details vague; it is breaching the terms of my contract to tinker as 'maplan' does not account for experience or qualification due to insurance reasons).

I'll cut to the chase; the customer had done nothing wrong, and yet two subsequent boards had yielded the exact same failure; no video output, but even more unusual, no BIOS beeps to indicate a fault, even with monitor and keyboard unplugged.
    I suggested another bundle, and so the customer opted for the triple-core 9350, again on an ECS board and with 2GB 800MHz memory.
    Same fault.

To verify the issue I even chose another PSU out of stock (again breaking the terms of my contract), the 700W modular unit from iCute, to rule out the possibility of the fault lying with the customers 570W PSU (also sold by us, brand must go unnamed as only we stock it).
    Same fault.

So to conclude, and also to add in some extra detail, there was no video output on three motherboards; two of the same model with the same CPU, and one different mobo with again a different CPU.
    This fault was replicated across all three boards, with both PSUs on both types of board/CPU combo, and every single time without a beep from the board to indicate a fault.
    All other normal signs of life in the board were there, and the only constant in the setup was the case (a possible earthing problem? Though the customer had no prior problem with his previous board).

No other boards of these types have been returned.

So ruling out the extremely unlikely event of a localised EMP (though we have the technology!), what on earth could possibly have caused this?

If any answers can help me to help the customer (I pride myself on my own after-market support, even if the company doesn't), then absoluely brilliant, but I'd also just like to know what the bleep was happening.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: No video dislay on three different motherboards
    « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:43:49 PM »
    Try another PSU...
    Then swap out the RAM.

It's probably not the MBoard although i wouldn't rule out the CPU at this point...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Merlyn

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »
    okay, so what you have said here is that the customer has bought 3 motherboards, tested them and that nothing appears on screen. does the computer even have signs of booting (CD-ROM spinning up, floppy drive checked, etc...) and also does it have an onboard graphics port (DB-15)?

Have you tried putting in a graphics card and seeing if that will work?

Thanks
    Merlyn

oxymoron_02

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      « Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:50:52 PM »
      Ah sorry, knew I forgot some other details.

This was both with and without a graphics card; onboard and external graphics give no output. And I did say all other signs of life are there; all parts recieve power, everything spins up that should be spinning.

And one of the boards wasn't paid for ;) Another reason I'm not disclosing too many identifying details. I honestly would not put it past the company to pull someone up on a disciplinary over going out of their way to help a customer.
      But that's workplace politics for ya.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »
      Well i'm going to divulge myself from workplace Politics...
      Feel free to try my suggestions...or not.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Merlyn

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 03:00:53 PM »
      and i presume you have tried many screens on this problem, Check the jumpers (shunts) on the MoBo and see if they are all configured correctly. othewise i would try looking into a electrical fault that the motherboards have got some from of energy from the customers input devices and possibly fried all 3 motherboards.

Just a thought. It's great to see you going out of your way to satisfy your customer.  :)

Use the MoBo manual check jumpers and connections and get back to me :)

Merlyn

oxymoron_02

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 03:13:05 PM »
        This was with both the customer's monitor, and ours at work. The jumpers were all in the correct places, I even jimmied them out between boots to see if the manufacturer had goofed.
        And the third board was from stock, used with our PSU from stock too. That's the test that really proved it for me, made me realise I had no idea what could be causing it, barring the case somehow being responsble.

Merlyn

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
        on the power supply does it have a voltage selector, check to make sure that is right...

USA: 110V
        Pacific: 220V

If you are sure that is correct, then we can try looking at the case being responsible... Did you assemble the computer in another case and test it?

I have had a Power-Supply completely short out my entire computer before because a cable was touching the case, and it blew up.

You seem to have eliminated that problem though, so this is a real doozy. try another case and another motherboard. there might be some kind of connection with the motherboard on the case.

Merlyn

oxymoron_02

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
          « Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 03:27:50 PM »
          UK, so only 220v here :)

The only non-variable was the case, so apart from the unlikely EMP theory (where would one even come from! ¯\(o_º)/¯ ) that was my prime suspect by the time we'd closed up shop.
          So the only thing we didn't try was another case, though the customer assured me he'd had no previous issue wih his old board. With his PSU unconnected though and not receiving power, that left the only contact insofar as a short could occur, to be in the board/case contact. But this doesn't satisfactorily explain how the third board, tested with the 700W PSU from stock, immediately had the same fault. Different board, and no reason for the contact points to be causing a short.

Like I said, a real mindbender of a problem!

==========

Oh and thanks :)

I'd just had a few bad customer service experiences of my own before I got this job. Now at 'maplan' we pride ourselves on our knowledge base anyway, but our hands are tied as soon as the customer has actually bought the item, which I think is quite poor. So from time to time I, and so do my colleagues, bend the rules a little in going that extra mile :)

Far better than a trip to PCW, even if they're technically qualified (read: 'allowed') to do more regarding people's computers.
          Not to bash only PC World for this, but it makes me laugh how they'll sell you something, usually with bad or wrong advice, then charge extra to fit or fix it for you. At 'maplan' we will sell you something, with the right advice and above all no 'upselling', and if we're quiet enough in-store and the manager is ok with it, we can put things together for you free of charge.

Not a plug! You wouldn't know where to go anyway ;)

Merlyn

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
          Try another case. :P

Merlyn

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 03:55:53 PM »
          maybe the entire batch was faulty?

Have you got any other board that is not from the same cupboard or area that the others were stored in. Try that and see if it will do the same... I personally suspect a short or a missing jumper/setting.

Good luck.

Merlyn

Computer_Commando

Hacker
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 04:47:32 PM »
          ...no video output, but even more unusual, no BIOS beeps to indicate a fault, even with monitor and keyboard unplugged...
          We're missing something big:  with no keyboard there will be no POST.  You will never get a fault with no monitor, not sure why you mentioned it.  Try no keyboard with monitor attached; remove add-on graphics card, reset CMOS by removing battery for 10 minutes & using shorting jumper to clear.  These steps will force POST display to screen.

BTW, many newer motherboards have no onboard speaker, so no beeps will be heard.  You need to add a 2" mini PC speaker.