Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External HDD accident  (Read 1979 times)

kiddo1972

External HDD accident
« on: June 21, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »
I got an external hard drive that is about three to four years old. I made a mistake and kick the USB cable and the HDD fell off the table. Wait it gets worst. Windows was reading it at the time and it came unplugged from the AC outlet and the USB port. Now when I try to fire it up, it makes a noise like it is trying to load but it does not. I have not tried to take it apart yet, well at least not the HDD itself. I did take it out of the enclosure but I just looked at it. Is there any way it can be fixed or at least get the data off of it. It is a Maxtor personal storage 3200 external drive with a 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD inside.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: External HDD accident
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Is your computer a laptop or desktop?  You will need a desktop to connect it to without the Ext HDD enclosure.  This assumes the enclosure is damaged and not the drive.

kiddo1972

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »
I got a desktop and a laptop. I never thought about taken it out of the enclosure and hooking it up directly to the SATA cable in the desktop. I'll have to try that. I had it hooked up to my laptop with the USB cable at the time of the accident. I just really want to get my files off of it. I don't care if it ever works again after that. I got another drive to replace it.

MendMyComputer

Rookie

• Yes
    • MendMyComputer
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »
Is your computer a laptop or desktop?  You will need a desktop to connect it to without the Ext HDD enclosure.  This assumes the enclosure is damaged and not the drive.

In agreeance to this, i would suggest buying an inexpensive USB to Sata adapter cable so that you can hook it up to your laptop without the need to open up the laptop. But from previous experience if the drive was powered at the time of collision then the drive will most likely have suffered damage too, even if it does seem to be spinning up ok.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I work at  MendMyComputer

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »
... I did take it out of the enclosure but I just looked at it....

... I never thought about taken it out of the enclosure...
You didn't?  You said you did.

oxymoron_02

Greenhorn
    « Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
    I think they intended for the sentence to be read in its entirety. I'm getting vibes of non-native English speaker here, so their grammar is exceptional, considering.

That said, I agree with your suggestion to hook the drive directly into the desktop. Easiest way of finding out if the drive itself is damaged, or simply the enclosure.