Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why can't I...  (Read 2186 times)

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Why can't I...
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:39:45 AM »
Get to Google and other pages? This is on my main rig posted on the side
<----------

It all started when I did a routine mal/spyware and Virus check, and i removed a few nasties that were not there the day before.

I all of a sudden could not access some programs, they would load, then go no further.
I cannot open the Google page, with IE, Chrome or Firefox.

I have reformatted three times, XP the first and second time, now running Windows 7...still no difference.

Ran Avast!, Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware, and Spybot again...nothing detected.

I am currently burning an Ubuntu ISO to see if it is just windows being screwy.

Of course you will note on the side I have got two other drives in there, they are in tact.
I have looked for an autorun.ini on all partitions but there is nothing there at all.

The last point of mention:
I am away from home, there is a wireless network here, with my friends laptop connected to the wireless. I am connected to him with CAT5e at 1Gbps, and the wired and wireless connections are bridged. This was working fine for the first 1.5 days.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru

Kurtiskain

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Why can't I...
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:31:10 PM »
http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

Thanks Allan for the reply, the problem has just fixed itself, there are no other signs of malware/spyware, so it may have just been a bugged NIC buffer left over from the infection or something preventing me from accessing certain IP addresses.

Weird problem is was.