Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Temp Issue or Video Card?  (Read 7027 times)

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Temp Issue or Video Card?
    « on: June 26, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »
    Hi :)

I've noticed that when I try to run a graphics-heavy program or game, my graphics start to get "shaky" after about 15min of running the program. The shakiness only happens within the program - when I minimize it, I don't notice anything wrong with my graphics in general, like on a Web browser or my desktop, etc.

I downloaded PC Wizard to monitor the temps in my computer and noticed that some of them seem to be (to me at least) running a bit too hot. I'm not sure about this because I don't know much about normal temps inside a computer. Attaching a screen cap for you to see - this was taken a few minutes after I had seen the shaky graphics and shut down the program I was running.

Could a temp problem be the issue? Or does my problem seem more video card related? The fan on my video card is clean and running - I also cleared out the dust inside my PC.

Thanks for any help!

RAM: 3328 MB
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
    CPU Speed: 3007.7 MHz
    SC: Realtek HD Audio output
    VC: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
    Res: 1440 X 900 - 32 bit
    HD: 300GB x 2
    MB: Gigabyte M57SLI-S4
    PSU: 750W

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 03:30:52 PM by Gemini6 »

BluerjB

Hopeful

• Windows 7
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Temp Issue or Video Card?
    « Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 06:47:52 PM »
    dam... thats hot..  :) how old os your PC? or what kinds of fans do you have? and case?

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:19:41 PM »
      The computer is only a couple years old - I actually bought it from CyberPowerPC (don't stone me) So I'm not sure what kind of case it is lol

Also, as for the fan... I think there's just one? I don't see any plainly "open" fans. But the thing that I assume is a fan is... well... I'll show you in the pic down below lol That black thing... (the silver thing on the right is part of my desk, not the PC, just to clarify :P)

When I initially purchased the computer, it had liquid cooling in it, but after several months, the liquid somehow evaporated (no idea) and my computer would not start up. Sent it back to CyberPower to fix and they returned it to me with that black thing instead of another liquid cooling unit. So that's another reason why I assume it's a fan of sorts. I'm sorry, I'm not very good with computers! I also replaced the video card a year ago after having graphics issues.

Thanks for the reply!

[recovering disk space - old attachment deleted by admin]

BluerjB

Hopeful

• Windows 7
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:32:19 PM »
      you should see if that radiator is working fine and see where most of the heat is coming from your PC because if its the CPU it will most likely heat up your whole PC.. and damage it.. try to check if your able to install more fans on that PC.. and put it in a well ventilated place like on top of a desk....

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:39:15 PM »
        I'm sorry, what/where is the radiator? lol

The heat feels the most concentrated in the area near the black thing :P

I am actually looking into case fans right now - but I have no idea where one could be placed inside my computer. I was thinking I'd have to somehow figure out how to place it on the side of the case that slides off - seems to be the only place where there's room.

Thanks again!

BluerjB

Hopeful

• Windows 7
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 09:04:59 PM »
        lol its OK..  uh the radiator is the grill looking thing like you said in the back of the PC and since you have allot of heat coming from the CPU (its under the round black thing with the two hoses) i think that that cooler is defective.... or might have a leak... ohh and is your computer having alot of cpu stress going on? open the task manager and check at how much usage the cpu is at when it idle... right click the task bar and click task manager the click on the performance tab.. then tell us what percentage the CPU is always at.

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 09:17:25 PM »
          OK, that's what I thought the radiator was, just wanted to make sure lol It seems to be working, but I'm not sure how to check it properly, so  :-\

CPU Usage jumps between 0% and 3% when idle.

I Googled around and found out that the "black thing" is actually a liquid cooling unit, so I guess they did replace the liquid cooling system that failed with another lol It's an Asetek LCLC, but I still don't know anything about it :P

Gemini6

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »
            I found out the model of the case that I have - you had asked what it was earlier. I don't know if it's useful to know still or not lol But it's this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1446794&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

BluerjB

Hopeful

• Windows 7
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 01:17:15 AM »
            idk either coz i never owned a liquid cooler myself.. check if the liquid is still there.. lol

Salmon Trout

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 02:38:15 AM »
            idk either coz i never owned a liquid cooler myself.. check if the liquid is still there.. lol

If you don't know the answer, why bother posting? "idk lol" type posts help nobody.

@OP, I am confused by those readings. Underneath "Chassis Fan" it says "Processor Temperature 77 F" which is approx 25 C which is pretty OK for a well cooled Athlon 64 X2 CPU on idle. Then below that under "Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2" it gives the core temps as 217 and 219 F These are well over the boiling point of water (100 C in the modern temperature scale). Since an Athlon 64 X2 will go into thermal shutdown well below that I don't think I would rely on those figures. Some motherboard sensor software can give completely wrong figures for certain hardware.

The GPU temp is 135 F in round numbers, that's around 57 C, this is quite warm I guess, but the max temp for that gpu is 105 C. 55 to 65 is quite normal after some hours of playing.

So I think that if it is your video card, it's not so much that it's a good card that's getting a bit hot (it isn't) but maybe it's got some weakness.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 03:36:23 AM by Salmon Trout »

BluerjB

Hopeful

• Windows 7
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 02:45:17 AM »
            If you don't know the answer, why bother posting? "idk lol" type posts help nobody.

At least I'm helping. This forum isn't only for Licensed professionals OK? Forums are here for people to share information. And in this specific forum to give your best answer/opinion to help other people with their computer problems. If your so smart why don't you answer rather than trying to make me look stupid.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 02:58:54 AM »
            At least I'm helping. This forum isn't only for Licensed professionals OK? Forums are here for people to share information. And in this specific forum to give your best answer/opinion to help other people with their computer problems. If your so smart why don't you answer rather than trying to make me look stupid.

Read above, edited post. How does it "help" to write "I don't know the answer"?

JJ 3000

Egghead
            « Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 03:34:59 AM »
            From the pic that you've uploaded it looks like you have a few burst capacitors. That could be the cause of your problems.
            Save a Life!
            Adopt a homeless pet.
            http://www.petfinder.com/

BluerjB

Hopeful

• Windows 7
              • Yes
            « Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 03:43:13 AM »
            Dang JJ what a Sharp eye you got  :o..  :) I would have never seen that haha..  I had the same issued before.. ended up killing my Motherboard.. That is probably due to his CPU cooler which isnt working well..

I would recomment for you to Buy a new Motherboard or if possible to replace those capacitors.

BluerjB

Hopeful

• Windows 7
              • Yes
            « Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 03:45:45 AM »
            Read above, edited post. How does it "help" to write "I don't know the answer"?

But after that i did tell the poster to check if the liquid is still there.. But "idk" is just a typing habbit...